HybridZ

Auto Z Tranny to Manual Toyota Tranny????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi - How much of a hassle would it be to install a manual tranny in a (currently) automatic 240Z - considering that it will need an extra pedal? Is this difficult/time consuming? Help would be appreciated - thanks!!

-AJ

You'll need to make a trip to a JY or two and harvest the pedal assy from a M/T car of same/similar yr, clutch slave cyl, clutch master cyl and all lines/hoses for the clutch. Try to take things off in as big an assembly as possible...which means you'll also be able to retro-install it on your car quickly. Get a clutch off a 2+2 rather than a coupe if you have a choice, it's stronger and the same as a turbo clutch in a few cases. Get the rear crossmember and rear engine mount, take notes from underneath on the donor cars as to where the factory-placed hole is in the floor (shifter); it may be essentially a punch/cut-out piece of sheet metal that you'll need to make on your car once you're at is out.

One thing you might consider is replacing your A/T with a far superior, higher/newer tech A/T.

Yours is a 3N71B three speed , non-lock-up torque-convertor and no overdrive gear.

If you're going to performance-mod your car, you could use an A/T from an '85-'89 300ZXTurbo, they have a higher stall speed torque-convertor, which has lock-up, and the trans has a 4th gear. This set-up would be easier and faster to do than the M/T conversion. Oh, if you do this you'll need an A/T bellhousing from an '84 Maxima L24.

An even easier quick upgrade would be to take an '81-84 Maxima trans; L3N71B. Not all cars used the "L" (lock-up; hydraulic (vs electric, used later)). That's a bolt-in and when the convertor locks-up it feels like the trans just shifted into a higher gear and it's quite a difference in driving the car, better mpg too. DAW

Guest Anonymous

Hi - Thanks for the info!! Real quick - The conversion in mind for my 240Z will be a Mitsubishi 4G63 4-cyl turbo engine from the Eclipse, attached to a 5-speed manual tranny, probably from a Toyota Celica (early 80s) - the car I have available at this point is an automatic 240Z with a 280 engine in it. I do not want an automatic. I am new to Z cars - I'm trying to feel my way through the conversion before I start buying the parts, just in case. Any suggestions, ideas? Should I still take the pedal assembly from a manual Z? Any help would be great. Thanks,

-AJ

AJLamport@Yahoo.com