HybridZ

RB30 + RB25DET head .....idea

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

An Aust made RB-30 block & crank can be had for $300-400US which is 3 ltr and the parts and pistons for NA and turbo are widely avail. The RB30 was a SOHC cross flow.The RB30det was avail in a Holden Comadore Turbo and was durable and fast.

Now,an RB25det head is a 24 valve crossflow design with twin cam & Variable cam timing from a Skyline GTS-T.

These heads sell for approx $700US (I checked).S/H

The RB-25 head will bolt straight onto a RB-30 block with the only mod needed is a oil way for the Variable cam timing. So we have a 3 ltr 24 valve variable cam engine that can take a turbo.

Note this has been done in West Aust. Add a Garret steel turbine GT30r turbo,and the availability of an electronicly controled cam timing,that fits in to a Z easly,.......any thoughts ? (An RB26DETT head would also fit but is big $ and the stud size is larger.)

I would love to do this.Sorry if this is old news.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zpeed

i'm most likely planning on doing this also...

and u have the displacement of a 3ltr twin cams, and the whole lot.. so it will go hard...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I HAVE SEEN A COUPLE OF THESE CONVERSIONS(RB25DE HEAD ONTO RB30)BOTH RUNNING HYBRIB GARRETT T3/4 TURBOS, THE LEAST POWERFULL ONE PRODUCED 290KW AT WHEELS, VERY NICE CONVERSION,I'M SERIOUSLLY LOOKING AT DOING IT, THERES SOMETHING WRONG IF YA CANT MAKE 400-450HP EASY, GO HARD OR GO HOME.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

As the RB30 block is taller than the rest of rb engines, once ya fit the RB25DE head to rb30 block will it all fit below 240z bonnet- has anyone done this mod in a 240z, and if so is there any pics out there, thanx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Has anyone built a normally asperated version of this combination? I prefer non-turbo simplicity, weight, and handling through the twisties.

From what I've read, the RB25/26 heads have a larger combustion area than the RB30, so the compression ratio would go down from around 9:1 to 8:1. Could the compression ratio be brought back up without installing different pistons? If there are no clearance issues, then a head shave and thin head gasket could be just the key. This might even solve the need for a longer timing belt.

Matthew

73 240Z torn apart edition

Matthew

73 240Z torn apart edition

hmm, would this be reliable and powerful? sounds like a nice setup with an rb26 head for pretty damn cheap, i wonder what it would cost to put together here in the states...

Hi Mathew, my engine is a N/A and yes the compression ratio will drop to around 8.3:1. But the RB25 pistons have the same diameter and has a bigger dome top, the only difference is in the pin height which is less than 1mm higher in the RB25. I used the RB25 pistons and decked the block 0.8mm, this gave me 10.5:1.

See it here!

http://www.240z.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&user=1957&thumb=1

Also http:/au.photos.yahoo.com/arkij60

Steven

Guest Anonymous

So whats this im hearing about a larger timing belt? Just what mods do you have to do to build this thing up?

Is it just the belt or are there other things aswell. I'm from Australia too and think this swap would be a ton cheaper then alot of the others ive looked at. So any info you could give me would be great.

Guest Anonymous

One other question, Did you have to fab engine mounts ect to put a rb30 in like people have to with rb26's and such. What about mounts from VL's are those usable in anyway ect?

Just courious cos I like the more simple "bolt in" swaps then the ones where you spends 1/2 your time at an enginer getting mouts/driveshafts done.

You do have to make up new mounts, cut and shut a sump, move the top spout in the radiator, make up throttle linkage, exhaust, gear box mount, engine management ect ect, but isnt that the fun of doing the job. if this type of work is not for you , you would be better off going and buying some thing you like than half doing the job.

Steven