HybridZ

Hey Scottie... (Buick swap)

Guest Z-rific

Guest Z-rific

I think I may go for a Buick 4.1L V6. It is the same engine as the 3.6 with a longer stroke. From what I've read, it's a great torque engine and the extra displacment may give up a few more horsies.

Here's some questions if you don't mind answering them. Since you've done the Buick swap, i'd love to pick your brain.

The Buick V6 is supposedly smaller than the Chevy. So it should yield more room. Further, with aluminum heads, intake, and with headers, it should be noticeably lighter than the L6. Would you still mount it back as far as you can? Any advice on fabricating the mounts?

Don't Buick V6's have the distributor in the front? I see on yours it's at the back. Is a taller hood required (especially with a taller intake manifold)?

I havent decided on a tranny yet. I love to shift, and this wont be a 1/4 mile car, so I'm thinking 5 speed. But if you highly recommend a smooth auto with overdrive, I may go that way. And I'm sure getting the engine with the auto already on it would be much simpler than doing a 5 speed swap.

Keep in mind that I'm only looking for NA power. I'd prefer to stay away from turbos and superchargers. (My 95 Talon TSi AWD is enough turbo for me. I want my second car to be NA.)

I thank you for any time you can afford me. Oh, one last question. What rims are those on your picture posted here?

Let me start off by saying that if you are dead set on staying NA, then I say go with the Chevy 4.3L which is basically ¾ of a SBC. You could probably use the same mounts for a JTR SBC swap and have lots more speed parts available for it.

The recommendation for the V-6 turbos is automatic because turbos perform better when they have a chance to run under load and build boost and not rev up quick like a NA. A 4.3L NA with the right parts will rev and work great with a 5-spd and I think a WC T-5 would be great combo.

Dimensionally I would say the Buick and Chevy V-6s are the same. The Buick 4.1L is popular among the turbo crowd looking for a little more displacement over the 3.8L and those willing to do a little work to make it a turbo motor. My engine is a DIS and what you are seeing at the rear of the engine is the coilpack/ign module. If my engine was an NA, I could have shoved it back another 2-3" but needed room for the DP. The entire engine is still behind the front wheels.

My wheels are the Shadow, made by MAS Italy, 17x8.5 all around with 225/45-17 and 275/40-17 tires.

HTH

Guest Z-rific

Did those rims bolt straight up? Did you need a custom offset?

If I use the JTR mounts, wouldn't the engine sit further up, towards the wheels? I guess that would be okay, as the weight problem has been taken care of.

I am going to be stubborn about going NA (no fuel injection either). Although I love my Talon w/ turbo, I also love raw NA torque and HP. And I'm looking for the simplest engine setup. No IC's. I just want carb to engine to exhaust. I know it's not the most efficient setup, but this is my toy and I'd just prefer it that way.

I appreciate all your help. If my questions get a little too time consuming for you, just say "when".

Do you think I'll need a taller hood?