HybridZ

height of a gnx engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

first question.

I am trying to find hard data for a gnx 3.8 or tta engine. I need to know how tall the engine is from the crankshaft center to the top of the throttle body, or how far from the top of the valve cover to the top of the T/B. (I am checking to see if I can make this engine fit in a non-z)

second question.

with a properly prepared engine where does the power curve drop off. Will I be able to see 6000+? I am wanting to convert a 944 but don't know if I want to use an LT1 or a turbo 6, the kits are available for sbc carb type or LT1.

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Scottie, thanks for the reply to the earlier post, I am currently disseminating all the info I came across on those boards and the gnttype webring.

Guest Anonymous

Scottie,

no problem just get back when you have the chance. thanks

Mat,

I am just wanting to terrorize the stang/vette/firebird population and see some track time to challenge the porsche and ferrari also also the same engine type will probably end up in my 82 zx for my daily driver. the 944 will end up with roll cage gtp/gtr front end 2" flares on back etc etc

with stock 944t trans it should go to 60 in 3.6 with 435hp/450tq and a shift at 50. if I can have usable redline at 6500+ I can shift out at about 62 and lower my 0-60 time substantially.

Mat,

if you can get the measurements before next week that would be great.

Helo,

You are not going to get 6500 out of a standard Buick turbo. You need a Stage2 engine to get that RPM. The stage2 engine is a factory beefed-up version that was used in NA form in the Busch GN, ARCA and Indy Lights and in turbo form in stock-block Indy cars. 400hp is the norm for the NA with 6500 being easy and no problem with a manual tranny. Since both series no longer exists, those engines are available but the turbo crowd is gobbling them up, so bring lots of moolah. In turbo form, 1200+ is not out of the norm. One of my buddies here in the Orlando area will have his at Reynolds this weekend. Stage2 destroked to 3.5L, TT and pulling 9000+ (yes, pushrods). Car runs 8.30s in a GN so probably close to 1200rwhp.

As for acceleration, I am not sure the 944 gearing is going to match the GN well. However, a 435hp GN in a 944 will generate frightening acceleration numbers. To give you some idea, I am at 480hp and plugged my quickest timeslip into a program that uses calculus to generate an acceleration curve. Results? 0-60 in 2.34 and 0-100 in 6.15 :eek: Not sure if those numbers are useful for anything but drag racing or a power road course. You could be one busy puppy on the autoX course.

Not tyring to discourage you from the GN option, just trying to edumucate you. I know of a 924 swap already underway, a 944 that is already done and someone else considering it. I will dig that info up for you when I get back.

Howdy guys,

I know that the gn motor has a long stroke, narrow bore and small valves compaired to a chev, but shurley you can make them rev to 6500 with a camshaft change. The local commadores here have a na. version of this engine and they rev to 6000 rpm. There is little point in doing it but they will. There was a single seater race catagory here called formula holden that reved the 3.8 to around 7500 rpm with out the stage 2 blocks. These put out around 340 bhp in na form as well.

So why can you not make the gn rev a little better?

Douglas

Mat,

that is called the vacuum block.

Douglas,

since Buick stopped making the LC2 3.8 in 87 (it was in the TTA in 89), chances are that the Holdens down there have the new 3800 which is a completely different engine. The older 3.8 in turbo can make up to 550rwhp with the stock cam with the power falling off early with stock heads and about 5300+ with ported heads. Cam upgrades rarely get pushed much pass 6200. This engine is all about torque not RPMs. The older NA was never popular and I doubt you could find anyone here doing anything with it.

Double-check that Holden 3.8 and let me know which one it is.

Thanks Scottie,

It is the latter 3800. I knew they were a little different but I didnt think it was that much. Are the blocks the same? If not can you swap some of the parts from new to old? Can you put the Turbo running gear on the 3800?

Cheers

Douglas

Completely different engine. We have a S-charged version in our grocery getters :rolleyes: but the hot-rod crowd is starting to catch on to its potential.

Check out this link for lots of info on the new 3800: http://www.thrashercharged.com/l67_htm/L67.shtm

Be sure to look at the engine teardown in the Tehnical Information section. After you read that you can understand how your boys can run that engine so hard. Then you think about the turbo 3.8L, the GNX and have to ask yourself, "Buick?".

Interesting Scottie,

That looks to be the current holden engine but they have run the 3.8 since about 1992. I think. These formula Holden engines have been around before 1997 when they say the new engine (L67) was made. Is the problem with the gnx engine a week block? Vibration? Poor heads? Why wont it rev? :(

Douglas