HybridZ

For those considering 1JZ or 2JZ swaps

BLKMGK

This thread might be helpful. It's talking about some of the various Supra trannies. Note in particular the W58 N/A tranny that's used in several models has different extension housing that can apparently be swapped to change the LENGTH of the overall trans and shifter position. This might help ya'll out...

Guest Zachb55

so can the stock 6 speed tranny that comes with the 2JZ TT's be used? cause i would really like to have a six speed especially if i can get one in a half cut to my house for the same price as a RB26 half cut.

thanks for the info,

-Zach

• 2 weeks later...

While this may be true for the transmissions, I think the bellhousing differs between 1JZ and 2JZ. It's definately different between 1JZ and 7M, despite them using the same manual gearbox...

Originally posted by kalium99:

hmmm...I thought JZ bellhousings were interchangalbe as well, opps.

NO and apparently getting a 1JZ bellhousing is near impossible in this country. I spoke to one guy who's been waiting a year!

Can any of our OZ guys help out? If I could get about 3 1JZ bellhousings over here for 5speeds I could make some folks VERY happy!

Guest Zachb55

so would a 2JZ 6 speed fit? anyone ever got the dimensions off of one of these? any idea if the shifter would line up at all?

This would be in combination with the 2jz engine.

-Zach

Guest Dan0myte

2JZ should fit fine. It's taller than the 1JZ, but it should still fit under the hood. The problem is the 6-speed. It's realllly long. The shifter most likely wouldn't match up, so you would have to fabricate some sort of wierd S-curve gear shifter to make it work. :confused:

Guest Zachb55

ok, sounds good, i would really like to use one of those especially if i can get one easily... im sure it could be done, maybe not easily but who said it had to be easy? thanks for the help,

-Zach

I hate to say it but the 5speed might have to be used.It's not as strong. Still worth measuring I think and MAYBE even moving the motor forward. Hearesy I know but the 6speed is SWEEAT and just about as bulletproof as the motor smile.gif If no one can find measurements on the length of the 6speed I can try measuring mine next time it's up on a lift....

Actually, a W58 from a 2JZGE WILL fit onto a 1JZ. I know of someone that has done it.

You will need the clutch fork on the passengers (drivers for the US) side anyway, so chances are you will need to have a custom bellhousing. There are places in australia, that can sell you the whole conversion kit to fit a W58 up to a 1JZ (of course you wouldnt need this if you got the box/bellhousing from the 2JZ, but the W58 came on many different engines)