HybridZ

Turbo Machining?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Fellas,

I decided to upgrade the t/3 side of my turbo to a t/4, but found out that I would have to hack off my header flange and make another one. I really want to avoid that at all costs.

I need a vendor that can machine my turbo to a full t/4.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

Guest Anonymous

Hey Mike,

How are you? Long time no see.

I imagine your really busy with your brakes and racing. You've got quite the rep. for great stuff and I'm glad to see things are going well for you.

My brakes are being put on this week along with a custom roll cage Ricky is helping me with. It should be done by the middle of March.

I found a really nice set of rims, but if the deal falls through, I'll be slapping on a set of 17's and calling you up to upgrade to a six piston caliper and larger rotor for the fronts.

Good to hear from you!!! smile.gif

Hoover www.gotumph.com

Guest Anonymous

I'm already running a t/4t/3 combination.

The t/3 max potential is about 575hp with other mods. such as intake, header,exhaust and properly tuned DFI. I'm looking to go over 600hp.

Guest Anonymous

Hey David,

When my car is done, I'll post a message.

I'm in Fremont all the time. Maybe you can meet me at Dandos.

Dennis R. and I are working on getting one of my Zs down to the Motorsport Show. Are you going?

Hoover

Guest Anonymous

Randy, two questions for ya. That t60-1 doesn't have an internal wastegate right? And, does it use a T4 inlet flange? I have been trying to find that magazine to get the phone number. ARGH!!!

Thanks

Steve

Hoover,

Oh yeah, I'm going. I have been waiting for 5 years to go and this is the year! Dennis told me your car is at Dandos a bit and I was just there last week. Didn't see your car though. Andy Craig is a cool guy and easy to talk to; I told him about our site and he said he would look it up. Hope to meet you soon!!!

David

got turbo from performance express in pheonix ax.phone is 602 216-2800.turbo is 60-1/.63 with out waste gate.most sand rails use external turbonetics type waste gate since they have lots of room to hang things.turbo had tag that said genuine garrett remanufactured.looks brand new.i am going to build a spacer between manifold & turbo for waste gate.i have thought about t3/t4 set up .i think i know how it works.if you send the exhaust through small turbine it spins faster than if you sent exhaust through big turbine.then when boost and exhaust gas volume are high you send it through a big waste gate.so in the end at full throttle 1/2 of exhaust is going through turbine and the rest through waste gate.if you ran a full t4 exhaust side your boost would come on later unless it was connected to a large engine

Guest Anonymous

Cool thanks Randy. I understand how it all works, but does the turbo you've got have a T4 mounting flange or a T3 (or something else)?

Guest Anonymous

Doh!! I did a little (very little) research and found the answer. Unless there is something special, that bugger should be a T4. Called Performance Express but have to wait for the guy to call me back.

it is a t3 .63 a/r housing with NO waste gate.which is kind of a bummer from a quickie bolt on point of view.the price is being negated by more work & more parts.but nobody ever said horse power was cheap.i checked it on spare turbo motor on stand in garage and compressor hit on exhaust manifold cause its bigger.turbonetics has t3 flanges for sale for the people that fab their own parts.i found a 280zxt t3 turbine housing in my shed and looked at waste gate hole .no way that little hole will work.what are the buick gnx guys doing about this? i would rather not fab up external waste gate cause of chance of exhaust leaks.my car must be able to be used for a work car-54 mile commute at 80 mph.

Guest Anonymous

What is the distance from the edge of the manifold down to the face of the flange on a 280? Was Tim the guy you talked to? I may not be able to use this for my Z31, but who says it wouldnt be great for another project.