HybridZ

external wastegates

Guest Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

Hello everyone!

My first question has to do with whether I can or need to put an external wastegate on my t3/t04b turbo. Right now the engine is out of the car, so access is not a problem. I have been running the stock wastegate at 7psi but have experienced some creep(up to 9psi). I first thought 15psi would be all I would ever want when my intercooler is installed, but now wonder how much boost I can run on pump gas (93 oct) with an external wastegate. Also where would it need to be mounted? Turbine housing? Exhaust manifold? How much work does this involve?

Tim78zt

Oh, and thanks to Clint for getting me on this forum! Very refreshing crowd!!

Guest Speaker

well I for one wouldn't risk the boost creep... so i'd get one..

the setup i'm familiar with is J Taylor's here in town.. he's running his off the manifold i believe... its atmosphere vented... if you have noise laws and other emissions junk i dunno if its legal... but we live in Alabama... that I6 of his sounds SUWEEEEET on a open-vent wastegate hehe...

he can run about 18psi or so; he's running 370cc injectors and a big fuel pump with a Bell Rising rate FPR... stock wiring harness...

and we think maybe more when he adds an SDS...

it depends on the specs of your turbo; but i was looking at a T3/T04B hybrid myself at one point... i quoted TEP that i wanted to run around 17-19psi and make 350-375rwhp and spool quick... result? Ball bearing T3/T04B w/ stage III compressor P-trim? am i saying this right? its on my email system at work; i'll get the specs of it later...

the turbo would spool around 3500rpms

it also depends on other stuff like the size exhaust system you have on your car and what kind of psi drop you are getting with your intercooler... i figure 16-18psi on the turbo and the bottom end will be fine... make sure you have enough fuel tho... detonation sucks... wink.gif

Guest Tim78zt

Speaker, is your friend's wastegate mounted at the rear of the mainfold? I have A/C so my possibilities are limited as to where along the mainfold I could tap in. I am running RC 550 injectors and a 3" exhaust. Fuel is managed by Accel DFI through a Nitrous Oxide Systems pump and SX filter up to a custom rail, so delivery is not a problem. Corky tells me his IC shouldn't rob more that 1psi (I haven't installed it yet). I'm thinking it might be possible to weld a flange onto the turbine housing and re-clock the compressor if necessary. Has anyone seen or had this done?

I know my turbo will support up to 400hp, so I'm thinking why not push 18 or 19 psi to fully exploit the system. I believe the stock ZX wastegate is my weak link.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I am interested in the wastegate thread BUT...

Tim, Tell us about your Accel DFI setup as it relates to SDS and others. Are you still using a distributor? You know, the details.

Thanks,

Craig

Guest Tim78zt

Wow Craig, I can't believe everything I typed for about 45 min this morning didn't post. I'll keep looking for it...maybe in my temp folder, but in the mean time the answer is yes, I do use the ZX distributor, but the advance has been locked down so the DFI handles the spark as well as fuel.

Tim

I have heard way too many bad things about TEP as far as service and knowledge . Texas Turbochargers in Waco is very knowledgable. I am biased because this is where I got mine, T3/T04E-57mm, stage III turbine with .63 A/R. The TO4E is a bit newer series which has a broad range of effeciency. However I suspect it will do quite well at 17-19psi. You should be able to sneek in some runs without an external wastegate. I expect mine to be acceptable for boost creep with internal wastgate. A ball and spring boost controller should help stabilize boost more than the standaerd bleed type system.

Guest Tim78zt

So Clint, are you saying just go for a boost controller and forget the wastegate? Which boost controller seems to be the best value at this point in time? It sure would be easy to install with my dash out of the car right now.

Thanks!! Tim

External wastgates are nice, but a bit of a pain to intsall and there is the extra cost. For now I would stick with internal wastegate and see how things pan out. You can go with the fancy Apexi-AVCR which is top notch but alot of $$. I bought a spring and ball(Hallman type) boost controller from a dodge turbo guy. It cost $35 and gives quick spoolup characteristics just like the electronic ones do. Do a search on the net for Hallman boost controllers. They are cheap simple yet very effective .