HybridZ

intercooler plumbing...need materials source...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've looked around, and I have been having a difficult time finding reasonable prices for aluminum(not aluminized) or stainless tubing with which to plumb an intercooler with. I am getting a Supra mkIV intercooler sometime this week and want to install it in my Z31 (87 300ZX Turbo) Inlet to TB is 60mm, and I currently have the stock T3, but plan to upgrade to a T3/T4 in the near future so I was thinking that 60mm ID(or as close as possible) would be best for my application. I have checked out burnsstainless.com and they have not exactly been too cheap in my opinion(at least not for small orders)...I may have access to a mandrel bender(I work in an aircraft squadron, and we have a full machine shop for support, favors are normally granted using alcohol as a unit of trade), so straight pipe will not ruled out(and might look better to be honest if no welds or hoses are visible in conspicuous locations).

basically, what I am asking is if anyone has found a relatively cheap source for tubing?

Guest Anonymous

easier to polish and keep clean than mild steel, especially when clear-coated, and usually cheaper than stainless...plus that, if I do have to resort to an outside source to bend the materials every shop I've found here that can do mandrel bends here won't do them on stainless steel for some reason...only aluminum...I would like to have everything be as close to a one piece operation as possible, without too many welds visible in the engine bay itself(not as worried about underneath where piping is concealed...I still have the option of going to the machine shop here on base open, I just havn't been able to get by there when they are available(I work nights, they're only open when I'm pretty much sound asleep)

I was thinking what about copper pipe would it work?All the joints could be soldered for a good seal and the two lines going to the IC could be hose what do you guys think?As for appearance you could always clear coat the copper so it doesn't tarnish.

Drax where did you get your pipe?And how did you have it bent?I found out from a guy who builds drag cars today that the diameter pipe i was looking for was really accessable in canada they use aluminum pipe as conduite(sp?)I live about an hour or so from the boarder and was thinking of going over there for some if anyone is interested in some too let me know