HybridZ

pvc intercooler piping???

Guest DATTO

Guest DATTO

i was talking with a friend and mentioned that he used pvc piping as their intercooler piping....is that possible? can it handle the heat and pressure? i know it looks cheesy but i guess if it works...more power to yah. has anyone else tried pvc piping??? thanks see yah all..

PVC piping has a melting point of about 84C if I remember correctly. It won't turn into a puddle at that temperature, but I'd be wary about putting pressure through it. CPVC will get you another few degrees, I think its 94C. You may want to try to measure what engine bay temps you are getting while not moving to see if thats enough. (run the car hard, then park and let it idle to simulate heavy traffic, and then measure temps)

Guest DATTO

thank you turbo god....without you we'll be stuck. thanks again drax...ill check out engine temp. i know mild steel or aluminum is expensive..i guess anything to save a buck, plus if i try it, im not going to boost more than stock. thanks

Mild really shouldn't be too expensive. You don't really have to use mandrel bends for your piping (though its obviosuly preferred) so you could likely get a muffler shop to bend up some pipe for you.

If you have a welder handy, an feel like taking the time to do it extra nice, buy some mandrel bent piping (I got mine from summit) and cut & weld a nice mild steel setup like what scottie had on his L28 Z.

I did the cut and weld thing. Damn is taht time consuming. Takes another couple hours of grinding down the welds after your done (if your anal like me).

Drax, its time to show some finished pics of my car. The engine compartment looks badass!

Evan

PS.... no scanner though. I may go hitup my neighbor :P

Doh, mail them to me! icon_smile.gif(got a scanner right here)

I'm planning ont he cut/weld route too, then the anal grind/sand bit too. (that didn't sound quite right)

I think for materials its less than $100canadian (~$65US) to do it in mild steel. That includes a can of spraypaint for afterwards too. icon_smile.gif

Guest DATTO

hey drax

im planning to get a starion I/C. whats the recommended size for piping diameter. hmm i think im gonna go with mild steel stuff or exhaust piping stuff...my goal for the motor is about 270hp...this is my first turbo motor build up i need all the help i can get. i have a built l28 with about 200hp at wheels when it was dynoed with the stock Su's.. the pistons are nismo dished so i should be okay on compression. i plan on the p79 head or p90 if i find one. im getting scotties DP and thats all for now. i just got some bosch blow off valves at pick n pull, same ones porsches use. what do you think else to get about 270hp? injectors..?not planning on SDS system, just stock stuff but i got a tip from a friend to use a maxima computer because it has sequential firing for the injectors, i dont know how to wire it up but i guess he does, imma learn more about the maxima ecu when i get a chance to speak with him...laters

Guest DATTO

hmmm i think imma go crazy and try the pvc piping. i think it should handle the pressure. if water can pass through with high pressure..it should handle the air pressure as well. as for the gluing the elbows, im gonna use hoses and hose clamps to join the ends instead of glue. hopefully the engine temperature wont be to much for the pvc, but we'll see..might look ugly but who knows...oh yeah im planning to get the starion intercooler from a friend...what should the size be on the intercooler piping in diameter...any recommedations..im gonna be running the stock t3 turbo for a while. thanks all

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: DATTO ]

Well datto I wouldn't, but if you are going to give it a shot, let us know how it goes. icon_smile.gif I'd stick with 2.25" stuff, since more than likely you are going to have fairly restrictive corners. Don't be afraid of using solvent cement either, it doesn't lose adhesion when heated, it just gets soft in the same way the piping will. (It actually WELDS the pipe together, not GLUES it together)

Let us know how it goes. Oh yeah, I'd keep an eye on the PVC/CPVC for bulging for the first while too.

Guest DATTO

yo drax

the BOV i got was from an audi but porsches use em...they pretty cheap around $35 bucks US pricing...heres the website of its picture and info and it also has a wave file so you can hear how it sounds. http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/bypassvalve.html

my friend spoke with jim wolf and wolf recommended the stock BOV from a 300z TT. he said it has a better valve design than the greddy and hks type ones for some reason...but check out the link if yah dont want to spend much on the bov. see yah