HybridZ

3 inch exhaust system vs 2.5 on turbo car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey turbo guys,

Heres a simple question, how HP and performance do you think I am losing using a 2.5 exhaust compared to a 3 inch exhaust. Currently I am running a totally stock 280zx turbo motor with a full T04 turbo with a H-3 compressor wheel @19lbs of boost. I am hoping that I am making somewhere around 300-325hp @ the rear wheels now. Just looking for everyones opinion whether or not to install a 3 inch exhaust.

BTW my turboz is for sale

my homepage

luckyod

I'm running a 3" all the way to the back and love the performance.Stock zxt's have 2.5" exhaust so your probably loosing a little power.I'm no expert like some of thses guys i just thought i'd share my experience on the 3".I had twice pipes from motorsport on it and as soon as i changed the exhaust i noticed a huge difference.My clutch started slipping bad in the top gears and i dropped over a half second on the quarter times i did add bigger injectors too so it wasn't all exhaust but it did help alot.My car runs 12.9@105mph and all i did was put in the bigger injectors and 3" exhaust i turned the boost up to 18psi and added an ic the rest is all stock and i had clutch slippage and tire spin off the line. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Luckyod:

Hey turbo guys,

Heres a simple question, how HP and performance do you think I am losing using a 2.5 exhaust compared to a 3 inch exhaust. Currently I am running a totally stock 280zx turbo motor with a full T04 turbo with a H-3 compressor wheel @19lbs of boost. I am hoping that I am making somewhere around 300-325hp @ the rear wheels now. Just looking for everyones opinion whether or not to install a 3 inch exhaust.

BTW my turboz is for sale

luckyod

Hey Owen,

You well get more HP from a 3" exhause compaired to 2.5. I've read articles on that and it has proven you get more HP from the 3".

Me and my friend had 2nd gen RX7 Turbo, I had more stuff then he did but I had a 2.5" and he had 3" exhaust. I would kill him bad off the line, but when we were in the freeway he slowly pulls away from me. I would defiantly get a 3".