HybridZ

need help selecting a good turbo.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by v-8 Zfreak:

i just thought why settle for 12 psi when it would require just as much work to get a higher amount. the only differance is turbo size.

Think again...

Even the price difference between 12psi and 20psi on a 360 could be pretty huge. You have to remember that even at 12psi, you are going to be in the 600-700hp range, and probably about as much torque. Go take a look around and tell me how many transmissions you can find that are rated for anywhere near that. Then look at what they cost, and how big they are.

Same for rearends. Then look at the fabrication that you wll need to do to adapt a rear suspension around that ginormous rearend.

Now up that hp/torque estimate to, say 1100hp and about the same torque, and look at what's available.

Notice that I haven't even touched on the mods that you would need to do to the engine, which are most likely substantial. This is WAY more than just adding a turbo.

Sorry to sound so negative - it would be a fun project. You just really need to have a clear picture of what you are getting yourself into. I Think that this is just sounding to alot of us like one of those projects that you spend a ton of cash on, get halfway through, and then give up on when you realize how much more you are going to have to do to make it work.

I'll go back to my original statment - get a clear picture of what you really want to end up with, then go for that, and leave yourself some headroom (just not 200% headroom icon_smile.gif ). You should also try to get a clearer picture of what kind of performance level we are talking about with even a 300hp Zcar.

Then maybe go look at the infamous Darius videos - looks cool, but let me tell you - it would get pretty annoying NEVER having traction, even at 70mph. Think about it - sure you could do alot of burn outs and showing off, but if you wanted to drive seriously fast, you'd be screwed. It would be far too difficult to keep that rearend planted through the twisties. And I'll bet that you'd be making more power than Darius at 12psi of boost.

What TimZ said! And what I was trying to get across - you will need SERIOUSLY strong internals to even approach 30PSI. The turbo V8 I mentioned broke apart because the rods couldn't handle the torquecombustion pressure. No part of that particular engine, save maybe the intake, was salvaged - even the cam got trashed. That was on it's first dyno run too and the author (Vizard?) was shocked.

Personally, I'd be happy with a single turb V8 I think. I've spoken to guys who have had MASSIVE HP Mustangs and yes, it's possible to boil the tires at 40mph driving down the road. Or have the rear step over one lane at 70mph stomping on the gas icon_eek.gif I'm not kidding, that was dry pavement too. My Mustang, when it had two turbos on the 302, would spin the tires after the slightest drizzle if I downshifted to 4th to pass someone on the highway. That is NOT a fond memory at all icon_sad.gif