HybridZ

1981 Turbo trans am setup in my 240Z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did not have much luck with a search. What I want to know is if a 1981 Turbo Trans Am draw through setup is worth messing with. I am aware of the penalty for drawthrough instead of blowthrough. Anyone had any experience with these? They appear to be very simple and compact. All I would have to do to make it fit is bend my own exhaust piping for the intake and down-pipe. The turbo sits right over the passenger valve cover and would super kick ass on my 388 in my 73 240.

Guest Anonymous

I had a chance and started to pull the turbo off a 301 FBird in the wrecker. After much rethinking, I left it. The turbo is way small, and being draw-through, I'd be a bit surprised if its throttle response and its fuel handling requirements would be very good at all. I believe the turbo is the same one Buick used in some of the early draw-through V6's they had in the Regal's and Riviera's.

A blow through with fuel injection as I'm sure you know is the only safe way to really be sure the engine doesn't detonate and blow it self to pieces (and even then you have to be careful not to get the maps to lean or the timing to aggressive). Just an opion, it is a cool looking system though.

Regards,

Lone