HybridZ

Vortech blower experiences...

Guest Azel

Hey guys,

Curious question: anyone have any experiences with Vortech superchargers? I'm clueless when it comes to superchargers. Vortech is a name that keeps popping up and supposedly these are among the most reliable, backed by good customer support AND are of the highest quality. I'd love to hear from those who've had first-hand experience with these thingies or any other reputable supercharger brand ie ATI, Paxton Novi. See I'm asking because a friend and I have thought about customizing the S-trim Vortech blower for our Q45's. He's spoken with the programmer at JWT, according to him the VH45DE is good for up to 9PSI bone stock. They could even custom program an ECU to run a blower. So if anyone knows a thing or two, please PLEASE chime in!

Recently helped a buddy install a Vortech kit on a 97 Chevy 3/4T truck w/vortec 350--The kit was well put together, but the instructions were a little confusing at times (it would say to use the supplied flanged pulley, but it was non-flanged) We did it during the week, so we were able to call their tech line and get answers fairly quickly. Overall, I think it was worth it, but I personally would drop the extra $$ for the "quiet" one--not sure what they change, but it's supposed to cut down the squeal a fair amount

Friend's shop deals ATI and has had excellent luck with them. Go with an intercooled system no matter what. Vortech claimed for YEARS that intercoolers weren't neccessary and that ATI blowers were simply not effecient. ATI had a standing challenge for a head to head blower dyno contest - Vortech NEVER took them up on it. Oddly enough Vortech and others now offer intercoolers - wonder why that is?

All blowers make noise in my experience. Some are louder than others - my P1200 ATI is as loud as the exhaust :D The newer ones are quieter but are not plumbed into the oiling system which means you must buy their oil. They're supposed to be quieter but they aren't by much. Stay away from Powerdyne - they tend to make low boost and fail. Newer Powerdynes are supposed to be better but... The Paxton Novi series looks good but stay away from ANY of their blowers that use that damned ball drive. The SN93 series - ick! Low boost and cast impellers. ATI uses billet impellers and they are SWEET! Not sure if Vortech has switched to billet yet or not...

Guest JAMIE T

Vortech builds reliable and powerful superchargers. For MANY years Vortech owned the Pro 5.0 title. ATI Prochargers began to take control AFTER the D series became available. The P series just didn't flow enough cfm to compete on the Professional level. Every year the big three centrifigal supercharger manufacturers(Paxton, Vortech, ATI) try and build a bigger, better mouse trap. Intercooled is prefered for maximum performance, just as a turbo car. Vortech offers more selection in compressor sizes and trims than any of the others. People are going to tell you that the one they use(d) is the best. I'm no differant :rolleyes: I've used Vortech. I have owned a 10 second DAILY driven Mustang that used a Vortech S trim(old reliable) It was pullied for 14psi of boost, no intercooler. It never gave me a moments trouble, and I'm not nice to the vehicles I own or drive.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I really appreciate it. I never in my life have dealt with a supercharged car, only turbos. I actually thought about going turbo but at this point, I'm looking for smoothe power-delivery, reliability, instant throttle response and tremendous low-end grunt, this motor already packs tons of high-end punch. Another priority is keeping the motor as stock as possible. A friend of mine has a Cobra with a Vortech blower and he loves his car to death. I wish I could find these units for a lower price though...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

There has always been a lot of trash talking between Vortech and ATI, but what is often misstated is that Vortech felt that intercooling was a waste on a LOW-BOOST application...4-8lbs...due to the losses through the intercooler. I ran a 91 5.0 Mustang with a stock bottom end, a mild cam (E303), Edelbrock heads/intake (both unported), and an S-trim Vortech with an aftercooler. I ran 15-16lbs of boost, and made 517 rwhp with it. The car was as reliable as could be. I have had many friends with ATI products, and most have had problems...leaking seals mostly. The aftercooler (for those not familiar with it, it has a tank and pump that recirculate water through the intake tract, vs air) was great for my application, but I'll probably go air-to-air on my next blower project. The silent S trim is ok for the guys who want to be stealthy, but I personally like the blower whine.