HybridZ

7m-gte mounted

Tony240ZT

I think I picked up mounts for a `89 Supra, `90-`92 the cars came with hydraulic mounts which are $100 a peice, these ones were still a lot at around $45 a peice. The engine is very close to the firewall, I put it as far back as I possibly could only left a little space. It is farther back than the L6 was, and I bolted up the engine mounts to these bolt holes that were previously used as PS pump and A/C compressor.

I guess I could have used pretty much any car mounts and then adapted them, but I'm not real familiar with very many. What ever makes the most sense pocket wise would be the best way to go.

I picked up a tranny mount off of a late `80's celica GT that I have adapted to the stock tranny mount holes. I think that I should have ground off the old tunnel mounts because it would make more clearance for the tranny, and I could have made the bar be more strait accross. The 7m's tranny mount is further back about a full 2-3".

Took out the metal in the console to get a clear view of the shifter, and it didn't take much. I'll get more pics of the shifter's location tomorrow.

At some point I may redo these things, but for right now I just want to get things going. There is only about 1/2" clearance on each side of the stock tranny mounts and transmission. I might find out that when doing hard shifts the tranny will hit the tunnel, if so I'll fix it at that point.

Even after considering this stuff I'd still consider it a fairly strait forward swap. This is my first time doing this much fabricating, so I'm learning as I go. Lots of fun.

Tony,

I got two words for ya: HOLY **** ! That's a gorgeous engine bay! Did the motor come with the silver/red motif or was that your creation? Either way you should give yourself a pat on the back, that's a job well-done and the effort really shows. 2thumbs.gif

Randy 77zt,

I see you live in Modesto. I lived there for 13 years but moved out here to New England 5 years ago. Where did you go to highschoool? I was at Beyer High for 2 years.

If you're really serious abou the M3 motor and kinda aren't sure....I say go for it! I would've love to see someone shoehorn an M5 engine, with twin turbos!! rockon.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

I totally agree with you on the reasons to just run a programmable EFI computer. I know someone who bought all the add ons to his stock computer (Z32 NA), and when he got it on the dyno, it was making less power than a stock Z32 NA that was in need of a tune up.

Hey Azel,

You live in Lowell? I'm in Windham New Hampshire. I've got a 72' 240Zt. Do you know Victor in Dracut? He's got a beauty of a 280Z turbo.

Pete

tongue.gif