HybridZ

What will it take to make 200hp w/my L24ET

Tony240ZT

I have a L24 short block in my `73, with a P90 head, CR is around 7.56:1, `83 280ZX Turbo electronics, stock T3 turbo, 2 1/2" DP & exhaust, K&N type intake filter, slightly upgraded ignition system, 65mm throttle body/ported intake (non EGR). Right now I'm not running an intercooler, I have a starion one laying around, but have this one that is smaller and was wondering if it might work for my goals:

Sic1.jpg

2" inlet/oulet, core deminsions 8 1/2" X 7" X 4" thick.

I have a set of the Mercedese 370cc/min injectors that I will be dropping in, and upgrading the fuel pump to a beefy bosch one.

Are there equations out there that can help me figure out how much cfm I will have to be flowing to make around 200hp, about how much boost that will take, how much fuel I will need to do it, and how effecient the intercooler has to be? Are there equations that would help me figure out how hard I could push my setup without pre ignition, or is it too complex to figure out?

I'm not sure how much hp I'm making right now, but the car definately feels much stronger than it did with the E88 head and SUs w/SM needles :-) I'm running stock boost (7#'s), and I'm going to guestimate I'm making close to 170hp. Nothing REALLY exciting, but it's an upgrade non the less. I would love to see this car running mid 13 second 1/4 mile times with the stock turbo. The car weighs around 2500 loaded and with me.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know the best 1/4mile time a L24 has done, in any form of aspiration?

Bolted in the Mercedes injectors, was surprised that these are a direct bolt in after swaping over the hardware from the stock injectors. The smaller harness plugs are more attractive. Haven't started the car up with them yet, but if they work for me I have a set of 280ZX Turbo injectors for sale. They worked great for me. 5 of them are black reman injectors and 1 of them is an OEM one. They had no problem running together.

Tony,

if the car truly weighs 2500# loaded, you have everything to do it. 13.50 @ 105 requires about 225rwhp. Install the I/C, crank up the boost to about 12#, make the necessary AFM recalibration and you are there. As a rule of thumb, a turbo engine will flow about 1.5cfm/hp. Since you are only looking for 225rwhp (yeah, right), throw out the formulas and just focus on getting it tuned.

Thanks Scotty, seriously 225hp would be nice in this car since it doesn't have upgraded brakes or suspention. It's like my beater turbo z, chipped paint, primer, unmatched hood, bent antena. At least it drives strait and doesn't have any rust.

As for the `72 with the toyota engine something would have to be very wrong with it if that's all I was getting out of it.

Thinking of selling my `87 Supra Turbo, so the `73 orange car has to be at least as quick as the supra was.

There were some fast Hondas out here in Bakersfield, CA for the Battle of Import at Famoso drag strip. I'll post some pictures of the event, ran into our friend SSS510 who was running out there, but had traction issues (too much power) :-) Most all of the modified cars were running turbos, made me want to crank up the boost.