HybridZ

easy turbo add on L6

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm interested in adding a turbo to my 77 with the stock L6 wondering how to do this easy/cheap open to any suggestions you might have.

Thanx

steve d.

Start accumlating some parts, such as a turbo exhaust manifold, a t3 turbo charger, oil fittings and lines, a turbo oil pan (or you can weld a return hole on your stock one), you may want to go with the turbo oil pump, a oil cooler would be good (get an Earl's sandwich plate to hookup the lines, PermaCool has one too. 280ZXTurbos with auto trannies have the adapters). You will need to fabricate a down pipe, or go with the stainless steel one that ScottieGNZ has if he still has one. You will want to go with at least the 280ZX Turbo injectors.

Since you're going cheap you can stick with your stock long block, instake manifold, and throttle body. I would suggest at least getting a throttle body off of a 300ZX (Z31) which is 5mm larger, and less cluttered with vacuum hoses.

I would suggest getting an Air/Fuel meter gauge to monitor your mixture, and a boost gauge if you plan to mess around with that. You need to make it so that your distributor doesn't advance under higher rpms. You can do this by removing the vacuum advance, and the internal weights. Retard your timing quite a bit.

Using your stock head, and NA engine management is not the most ideal setup for turbo applications, but will work for a cheap setup. It will be the largest increase in power that you can do for under $400. If you rebuild your turbo yourself, know how to do a bit of welding and fabricating it is possible you could do it for less.

Guest Anonymous

I have a stock T3 turbo for the L6 like tony was talking about. Its in great shape, came off a well-running zxt with 70k miles on it. Shaft spins freely, little/no play, and the only notable damage would be slightly scuffed up compressor wheel blades (nothing serious), this includes the actuator. I need to sell my parts to get the rest of the money for the 240z I'm buying next month. I also have the ECU. It would also be satisfying to be helping out a fellow hybridZ'er. Your turbo project is quite feasible, the l28et can be built to be quite potent for minimal $$!

Good luck, and please email me if you want the parts oddenfam@msn.com

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanx for the advice. IM sure ill be needing alot more as i get deeper into this project. Just wondering if there is any literature available for this kind of application. I've never done a turbo system before and i dont want to make any stupid or costly mistakes. I've heard that Corky Bell is supposed to have some good books on the subject

Steve

cuss.gifwww.my280zmail@yahoo.com