HybridZ

turbo 240z conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well im new to writing in the forum but have ben following for awhile and it is time to make my currently blown up car faster. this is what i want to do... i found a 82 280z motor and dogamatic tranny with 40,000 miles on it for 250$ and i found a 82 280z turbo smashed with 100,000 on it im hoping i can make one out of the 2 i know the 280 turbo swap has ben done many times but im thinking the turbo motor probably has seen better days what are the differances betweent the turbo motor and the non turbo would it be possible to switch the turbo manifold and intake onto the other motor? heres the next prob since the 280 turbo is a dogamatic is the wiring different or will i still beable to swap all of the wiring harness into my car? i really wish i didnt have to but stand alone is out of the budget for the time being . finnaly the motor i have in my car now is a faily built 2.4 it has a cam (no idea what cam) alum pistons and twin webber carbs with a 2.5 exhaust and a header would the car be faster if i i put the webbers on the 2.8 and ran it like that or would it be better to go the turbo rout i know the turbo has way more potential to go faster but would it be the faster of the 2 stock ot with whatever i can get away with with the stock comp. also the webbers seem to be very finniky and dont seem to like sudden corners im thinking f i will help this at least hoping

well sorry about the long post but any help here would be awsome

alab

The turbo efi setup is definately the way to go for any driving styles. Much easier to keep in tune in any climate, more power in stock form, and cool turbo swooshing sound.

Stick with the turbo block, you'll have a nice flowing head on it, along with the low compression need for boost, a high flow oil pump, and flat head pistons with lower ring landers that are able to take on forced induction far better.

The efi harness for automatic and manual are the same, so no issues there.

The efi/turbo stuff will bolt onto the other block, but you are still better off with a high mileage turbo block. Guys have used junk yard long blocks with high mileage and gotten over 300hp without opening them up, just quality bolt ons and the fuel to boot.

I've run a turbo/efi setup on a L24 bottom end for some time now, and my high mileage rings are suffering. I dropped the P90 head on the L24 block, swapped over the oil pump, head bolts (stronger), and other odds and ends. It's a powerful setup (loves to rev), but will not have a long life. It's an option that you can think about, the 2.4L vs 2.8L displacement is probably pretty noticeable, but I'd say I'm making over 200hp to the wheels, which is fun enough right now.

Cut corners on things so that you can put money to a nice intercooler, and t3/t4 hybrid turbo. The stock t3 spins up too fast then is a hot air blower when turning up the boost, a t04b or t04e compressor is a great upgrade for street, along with stage III turbine or there abouts.

Search for threads on larger throttle bodies, I've helped a few get their hands on a 65mm Mercedes 450SL throttle body that bolts up with a little work.