HybridZ

Advice - 240z with L28 Turbo purchase

Guest larkja

I sold my 240z last year and am looking for another. I came across a very nice looking 240z up in British Columbia that has a turbo L28. Here's his description and a web site with photos:

1972 Datsun 240Z -- silver, no rust, garage-kept, roll cage, Autometer guages, 5-speed transmission, lowered with sway bar and heavy duty Tokicko shocks, 16 inch Raiken 5-star mags.

Comes with about 350hp in a 280ZX turbo-charged engine which has recently been rebuilt. Has heavy duty NISMO cam springs, 280-260 duration cam shaft, NISMO head gasket, JE forged pistons with Crower 4340 chromoly connecting rods, NISMO main bearings. All bolts are from ARP. Engine is controlled with a MOTEC programmable ECU. It has a T04/T03 Turbinetics turbo charger and a Blitz blow-off valve. Comes with a Spearco intercooler and lots more........ too much to list!

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/skyline240z/lst?.dir=/eBay+photos/240Z+photos&.view=t

I have spoken with him and he basically just needs to sell the car - bought it from his friend that was shipped overseas (miliary) and his wife is bugging him to sell. He had the car checked out mechanically and it has 125 across the board on the compression check.

The only problems are:

1. Doesn't have a LSD

2. Clutch slips at 5,000 and will need to be replaced with a heavier duty unit

3. Tie rods are a bit lose and need to be replaced

4. The interior has been stripped of carpet, etc. basically making it almost a race car

#4 is not really a problem but if I need to re-sell quickly, I know I'll have issues because it's not stock. I have had two previous 240Zs and spent 10s of thousands on each and got back maybe 50% when I sold. I want to try to avoid this at all costs.

My questions:

1. How reliable, if built correctly, are these modified turbo motors?

2. How much would you pay?

3. Anything else I should ask about?

Thanks

Jim

jim@vettechrelief.com

Guest Anonymous

A bonus is that Canadian currency is valued a lot less than ours. Nice looking car.If done "correctly" the car should provide long service as a driver. Coilovers? Radiator cooling? How much is he asking...