HybridZ

anyone got pictures of a zz4 engine in a Z?

Guest Jimstein15

Guest Anonymous

Hey MikeS, I'm thinking about a ZZ4 for my '72.. how do you like it? How does it idle/run? I'm looking for a motor that has a little lope, but not extreme like a top fuel dragster...

Thanks!

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by Montara22:

Hey MikeS, I'm thinking about a ZZ4 for my '72.. how do you like it? How does it idle/run? I'm looking for a motor that has a little lope, but not extreme like a top fuel dragster...

Thanks!

Tim

Tim, minimal lope if noticeable at all on a ZZ4. I run that cam on my 98 350 with all edelbrock topend/rpm heads etc. I've been VERY pleased with the mannerisms, I was able to put the idle to 625-650 which pleased me. Just wrapping up my EFI install and it should be even better after that. And considering I've got more lift off the cam with mixed rockers it's 'docile' as manners go. If you find a deal on a roller 350 I'd go that route and use the ZZ4 cam or similar rather than buck up for the crate motor/but not all have the time to do a setup piecemeal. Roller cams can be had for $100 in used/but fine shape all day long in a number of profiles.

PS, engine doesn't look any different from other 350's, you can pick your own valve covers/timing cover etc etc. Same externally aesthetically.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Ross C ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response RossC. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to use a smaller displacement engine with a larger cam... Something that I can run an almost wild cam on without breaking drivetrain parts because of a monster peaky power band. I only want about 350 horsepower out of the motor... but I love the sound (and feel!) of a V8 with a little lope. I'd also like to have a useable power range approaching 6500 RPM.

So I guess the ideal engine would be something that has a powerband from 2500-6500 that won't break valve springs or break rods. Hmm... the Chevy 302 comes to mind...

Anybody have any experience with the Chevy 302? Found some info on the 'net, but first hand is always better! If you're interested...

Chevy 302 Info

Thanks!

Tim

P.S. MikeS- Wow... you must be doing a complete once over on your Z... good luck!

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Montara22 ]

• 6 months later...
Guest Russ240z

I found this thread while searching for info on the ZZ4 crate motor.

ZZ4 Zcar owners...are you satisfied with the performance of the motor and the bang for the buck? If you had it to do again would you go the same route? It sounds like a good choice for someone with limited time and experience assembling engines, like me.

Let's hear some feedback and see some pics if you have them.

Thanks much.

Tim,

My friend Richard Wright has a dz302 from a 1969 z28 in his 3000 Jenson Healy with a wc 5 speed,nine inch rear. It screams like a banshee but lacks a little in the torque department. He is building a 350 roller motor for the car as we speak. The 302 will easily wind to 7k+ but torque is not abundant.

zfan..Mike