HybridZ

Aluminum flip top gas cap on E Bay #1854161748

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The one I have is also of English manufacture.A lot of the Cobra supply houses have them.There is another one on EBay now( reportedly from a Ford GT 40 show car). The scheme from Blue Ray/Stable Works (GTO 250 kit) was to mount the flip top cap on the GTO body recess above the slightly extended and hidden stock gas cap. A person would flip the aluminum gas cap, then reach in with very lttle room and twist the stock cap located below. Dan, For your application I assume that you connected the flip top cap directly to the filler tube which would require modifications.There are a joy to flip open!

Looks like the one on my Spitfire. Which I transplanted from a Lotus Europa part I got at the JY.

British Leyland did a lot of cross-fertilisation in the 70's same part on a lot of cars. (not MGBs, I just looked at a photo)

It was chromed pot metal, not aluminum, but only cost $5.

Tomahawk Z, mine is cosmetic only. Underneath it I have a Hagen street rod cap and spout. The cap screws into the spout and has a spring loaded flap that allows you to just push the pump nozzle through to fill. This way I have a properly presurized FI fuel tank (it uses a separate two way valve off another vent line)and when I fill-up I just flip the cap and stick in the nozzle.

Looks cool, works great. :cool:

Seriously, I met this hotrod guy who swore to me they came off buses, and sure enough the majority of buses that drive past all have the same fuel cap. I used a jag one anyway on my kit, because of the easy install into the 250gto kit and it looks awesome mounted with 3 piece wheel chrome cap screws, $35. cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Not doubting you S Ball about the bus caps. The bus' here have these "cast black pipe plugs" that screw on. Tomohawk I just got another Jag cap flip top cap (Sedan) on E Bay for $9.95 which was the only bid. Be back with an "edit" for the item #:1854597837. I thought Nate might want it for the Vello Rossa. I have a Jag cap mounted on the Tomahawk and another for the Origin ($40.00 for the pair a long time ago) plus the fancy Le Mans cap for the GTO. This eBay Jag cap may have some cosmetic problems but it can be powder coated with "near chrome".Just about all the 1960 thru 80 Jag sedans must have came came with these flip top caps.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe a good paper weight?.. impulse buying! I placed the initial asking bid and GOT IT! Maybe pleasantly surprised when it arrives or disappointed. I love to flip them more than a switch blade knife which are legal in Oregon.This is not the item # that started this thread but I am using a Jag cap on the Tomahawk

The Gto kit I have is pre moulded for the lemans cap and before I found out about the bus thing, I bought a Jag cap for $35 instead of $500 for the lemans cap, which turn out to be off old buses incase I didn't mention it. Anyway the Jag cap is solid and easily re-cromed etc and easily adapted to look like a factory car item on the gto kit, my whole objective with the car was to build a car that looked like a factory built car "BEAUTIFUL" and although I know the Jag cap is a Jag cap no one has ever picked it, not even the $3 back gate hinges I used to mount the bonnet or the small brass letterbox numbers I used for the 250GTO badge, which I dome resined and painted with gold nail polish, no one cares about the plastic side strip mouldings that I used for headlight surrounds and tail light surrounds which are undetectable and the $26 plastic chrome mirrors made as Holden replacements, as long as everything is married and proportionately correct the car is BEAUTIFUL and why bother with a $500 fuel cap when I'm driving a $2000 Datsun.

Some other things I forgot to mention (wife made me make her a cuppa)The tail lights are 4" round lenses off festoon type truck lights $15 which I modified the guts with an aluminium reflection plate and cut out the datsun globe sockets and super glued them to the rubber backing which had to have a hole drilled for the globe to poke through, the 5mm plastic chrome mould sits around the outside, I cut a sample to get exactly the right length then super glued the ends together then heated with a heat gun to fold it onto the body more easily, then 4 stainless screws hold it in place permanently. all up I think about $17 for perfect replica Dino ferrari tail lights which are brand new. Got to go wife is pacing cheers.gif

I don't have pics of details like close ups of cap or lights with me, but next week, the car should be back from the auctioneer, and I'll have it for a couple of days to get road worthy, hopefully for the new owner. While I have it I'll take a whole lot of pics and measurements such as wheel offset etc, so I can order all the bits for the next car (4.0 lexus V8, aluminium console, head up dash display and so on) most of which will be cutom made bits, like a sequential shift mechanism for the tranny, the suspension components will all be high gloss silver (same as body)and shafts nuts etc chrome. Hot Rod 2thumbs.gif