HybridZ

working radiator cap door on GTO?

TomoHawk

Real GTOs have a fourth lid on the hood to access the radiator cap. I think it is possible to cut the door, put on hinges & latch, but does the radiator cap line up with the door?

Would add to the look of a 'real' replica car, but not too much trouble, I'd think. I don't remember if the Blue Ray hood has the lines in it for the door to be cut. If not, one could cut a line in carefully with a template.

Guest Anonymous

The Blue Ray has no impression for the radiator door lid. Jegs has an inline metal pipe with attached radiator cap that splices into a radiator hose allowing a person to add water further back from the radiator. I do not think you will have much clearance problems with filling the radiator. Nate and I worked most of the day trying to place the scissor hood hinges on his McBurnie GTO front clip. Cannot seem to find the right position.ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I guess it is time to get scientific and get a tape measure and MEASURE!

Guest nezzie76

It may be possible to add a door for the radiator but it may take some ingenuity. On the Mcburnie, if I remember right, the door would have to be on the hood right next to the end of the hood. My hood is reinforced with steel near the ends, so I would have to cut through that and the integrity would be compromised. Don't know about blue ray though. Isn't the rad door on the real GTO on the body and not the hood? It seems like it is.

Larry and I spent all weekend on the scissor hinges only to have them not work. We were trying to fashion them sortof like his hinges that he has on his tomahawk, but it didn't work. So now we are going to try to fashion them EXACTLY like the others, so that's why we need a tape measure to get them exact. cry2.gif I want to give up but Larry is too stubborn.

from the pictures I have, the radiator door is on the nose part in front of the hood & in line with the center air intake. I don't know if there's enough roon to even put the indent in it.

BTW, You guys got an idea of how you would put doors on the three air intakes? Doesn't matter if you drive in warmer months, but just wondering.

Guest Anonymous

Doors on the front 3 air intakes? I once considered leaving a lip to mount a stainless trim rings with a mesh grille insert behind the trim rings. You could also place a black (thin) insert behind the mesh and effectively block the air from going thtu. This same method could be applied to the other vents behind the front and rear wheels.

Remember,

The GTOs were designed to go 175 mph, so everything was streamlined. They put doors, or flaps, on the cooling intakes with flush buttons to open. Airplanes use these buttons on the engine inspection lids.

I was thinking about not actually cutting the radiator cap door on the hood (or wherever.) Just reinforce the glass under the area, then carefully grind a shallow channel to simulate the door. These are replicas, right? It doesn't have to actually be exactly the same, especially if you leave out some things like pushbutton door pulls, perspex air scoops on hood & back window, the aluminum 5-speed shift gate....

But I think we can have some fun over the (idle) winter month coming to throw around ideas.

rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Speed 175 mph! My unfinished GTO gets carried slowly by hand a few times a year from the shed to wherever the Datsun was last stranded. Interesting tip>>>> My Tomohawk kit called for the Z fenders to be left in place after severe modifications were made to the original Z fenders. What is interesting is that the Blue Ray GTO front clip easily slips over the modified Z fenders which would not require any further work such as installing and bonding the fiberglass front inner fenders and dust shields to the fenders in front of the doors. This also makes a strong front end....Also the Alpha GTO retained the Z vented front cowl. I am considering cutting out the Blue Ray intergal solid cowl from the fenders and retaining the vented original Z cowl even if I have to modify the fiberglass hood to do it.