HybridZ

Underbody colors

TomoHawk

What would be the appropriate color to paint the chassis, floorpan, etc.? I'm taking mine apart in little pieces as I go and refinishing them separately. No room to dismantle the whole thing.

Got the sway bar off now, I just polished the paint/rust off & sprayed it with clear polyurethane. Control arms & crossmember should come next, with the power steering conversion.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I've heard that "powdercoating" is a really cheap and good quality service to use for disassembled steel car parts, and powdercoat comes in many colors. I'll try it for the first time myself as soon as I find an excuse.

If any of the parts in question are aluminum, consider a polished or glass beaded finish, after deburring all parts.

As for color, what are you going to use the car for? If it is a daily driver or "restore to stock" car, keep everything black. Every other color will show any fluids that leak unless you replace all seals.

However, what I might do: While everything is dissassembled, paint adjacent components contrasting colors to show that they have been apart. Choose colors that match or compliment exterior paint, exterior highlight color if any, interior color, rims, or springs.

Some under-car-equipment can be seen in traffic, so consider the effect of your color choice. Your gas tank, for instance, probably would look best black.

How's that for a rambling opinion?

Matthew