HybridZ

What Happened to Cable Cars, Ltd.?

TomoHawk

I found the invoice to my Blue Ray GTO body and I noticed there wasn't an "Invoice No." ob it. The top of the fax says "Cable Cars Ltd." etc. (Tempe, AZ.) I was thinking of contacting those guys if possible to get the Invoice # to complete my copy for titling/VIN purposes, but I don't know if there is a way to contact them, or if the records even exist.

Is there a way to contact Cable Cars Ltd., or whoever has the records?

Guest Anonymous

Nope! I may keep mine registered as a Datsun. Cable Cars may possibly be the fiberglass vendor who made the body.My Blue Ray body was made in the midwest

Hi, Guys!

Just happened to be surfing a little because I couldn't sleep.

Cable Car is long gone. The guy's name was Jim Carpenter. He sold out to Butch (I think) Hooper and you can see his website/contact info at http://www.italianauto.com/

I don't think they have anything to do with 250 GTO stuff anymore, but do some 308-to-288 GTO rebody work.

Jim Carpenter was a friend of Jim Simpson's and may have sold Jim the Rhino tooling. I'm not sure where Jim got it, but if you guys figure out the story, I would like to have the info for the archives!

John

Guest Anonymous

TomoHawk ...looks like you may have a vintage replica with mixed parentage of possible illegetimate origins.. A birth certificate may prove embarassing. And my GTO had a good legetimate upbringing in the god fearing corn belt. BRIGHT Red would be an appropriate color for yours.. Looks like Rod Simpson got around hanging his hat on the rack. LOL

I'm fairly sure that the whole thing came from the Tempe, AZ (factory.) All the work looked exactly the same. I'm just now wondering why theyt didn't glue in a numbered plate or anything (free advertising.) I think I might be missing a few pieces though:

inner fenderwells, frt.

rocker panel covers.

Didn't get any lights or chrome, light covers etc. Probably due to inflation getting in the way of the final costs.

Guest Anonymous

Tom I have needled you enuff. Here is an important tip: The TomaHawk Z kit was designed to use the original fenders as inner fenders after some wheel well surgery and the headliht buckets removed. The Tomahawk front clip then slips right over the fendered front. My Blue Ray GTO 250 kit fits right over the same fenders and fits like a glove too.Out of curiosity I tried the GTO front clip on the Tomahawk Donar Z car one day. No need for bonding the fiberglass inner fenders since the "inner fenders" are already in place.. I also plan to cut out the GTO 250 cowl and use the original Datsun cowl like the Alpha kit does.(and if the the Blue Ray GTO hood does not fit the Datsun cowl, Mr, "grinder" will fit it up)