HybridZ

Mc Burnie KIT adv. as a Datsun

Trevor

Don't ya just love lawyers!

BTW, that dash is the original Alpha 1 GTO dash that Joe Alphabet sold. I have the same dash in my car http://www.hybridz.org/Review/0002/GTO_31.jpg

I think Jeff over at Stable Autoworks http://www.zcarkits.com/ can sell you one.

It's fiberglass and you strip all the vinyl and foam off the old Z dash and the screw and foam this dash to the Datsun steel skeleton. You can even use the original Z gauges if you want too. The other nice thing is that it's set up to use all the original Z vents and controls.

Guest Anonymous

Speed Racer: There is one exotic twin Dellorto DHLA 45 carbs set up on a 4 bbl manifold adapter EBay item # 1873342735.... The seller of the GTO frequents these boards.... I like his advertising style but wonder if the thick skinned F lawyers can understand the subtle insult LOL

Guest Anonymous

Nate, after careful observation, I have came to the conclusion that this frontend was a product made well before the front end mold took a 180 degree nose dive and set with a permanent 45 degree warp like a curly home hair "permanent". My degree calculations may not be precise but close to a reality statement

Guest JAMIE T

You don't suppose the nose fits that car becuase the entire car is a McBurnie, and not a car made up of differant manufacturers? Don't get me wrong. I like the Velo Rossa and the Thunder Ranch cars. I think the Thunder Ranch cars have the best lines of any of them. I KNOW John Washington made great quality products as well. I just wouldn't rag one manufacturer becuase his parts don't line up with another manufacturers parts.

Guest Anonymous

Naw Jamie...read this carefully the Thunder Ranch front end on Nate's (Nezzie 76) Vello Rossa is warped by shoddy workmanship or warped from worn out molds. My Blue Ray GTO nose lines up to his Vello Rossa parts.The front nose of any "GTO" only has to align with the door skins not the rear tub (unless you section and go without doors LOL). We had to use spacers to move the doors out from the hinges to align with the warped front fenders. My Blue Ray GTO nose kit aligns to my Tommahawk door skins that were purchased from Origin off skins splashed from a Vello Rossa. Nate and I have spent "hours" on that frontend and "hours" to go..I have not even scratched the surface with my complaints. I am ragging on that McBurnie nose beacause it is a shoddy piece of crap and want all potential buyers to be aware that the Thunder Ranch nose molds may still be worn out and warped. If anyone is to purchase this kit , I would urge them to question very closely to the number of body kits that have been pulled from the set of McBurnie GTO molds. Ask: Why is the cowl split from the hood to windshield while the Blue Ray kit is not??? My answer: To better install a warped front end because without the seperated cowl the Mcburnie nose would be impossible to mount on the Datsun front end. The Blue Ray GTO frontend does not have this mount problem with an unsplit solid cowl. The Blue Ray GTO nose will fit preciselly over the modified Datsun fenders as the Tomahawk kit does. The THUNDER RANCH kit barely fits the front with the fenders removed and with all kinds of metal removed. We had to remove the metal front fender flanges and weld the seam so the fiberglass fenders would not ride up three inches. Maybe my eyesight is poor but I cannot see that much difference in the three styles except the Vello Rossa is a convertible and the three examples are within 50 feet of where I am typing this post including a precise fitting Tomahawk kit and an Origin convertible klt with a host of fiberglass accessories.You may like the looks of Thunder Ranch. I like the looks of Levi Jeans but a pair of them looks like crap on me. Try a Mcburnie for fit and quit admiring the picture ads that were taken 20 years ago when the molds were fresh too.

Just gotta ad my $.02 here. I an not a mechanic and have never done any serious body work.

With that said. I found the VR kit from John Washington to be made INCREDIBLY WELL. 2thumbs.gif The front cheek panels line up perfectly with the door skins. I will have very little filling to do. The rear tub lined up really well with the doors as well. More filling to do on that but I cut the lip off and did a wet layup creating a little more rough area.

And I am about 20-30 hours ahead of schedule - now if I could just get this house sold so I can move to Florida - I would have more time to finish the car burnout.gif

Just my opinion but after seeing numerous other kit cars - I am liking the VR so much better then I already did.

Guest Anonymous

No doubt about it, Stable and VR are good kits..but over the years somthing happened to the reputable McBurnie kits. I hope they have the problem fixed but "buyers beware"

Guest JAMIE T

Good Job clearing that up Tee Zee. I have seen one McBurnie car, and an Alpha 1 car. Both car are older builds. The Stable GTO seems to have overly rounded(bulbous) quarter panels in pictures of course. The Mcburnine car I saw was at Kit Cars at Carlisle a few years ago. It was rough(older car, but had good fitting body work). The Alpha car was at the Shelby reuniun at VIR last year. That car is by far the best looking one I have seen in person. I don't think it had much to do with the kit, but more so the finishing touches. It had the correct sized wires and the tires filled out the wheel wells nicely. It is raced regularly at VIR and is SCCA legal(rollbar, safety gear, etc...). It also had a trunk instead of the stock hatch. It had dual exhuast(with a crossover) on the 3.0L stroker and triple Webers, it sounded Italian. As for the Velo Rossa, I'd like that car MUCH better if it had a better rear fascia treatment. Someone dropped the ball after the rest of the car was designed. I have done much research on the GTO kits. Last I heard the Stable company was being sold, and now John Washington is throwing in the towel, so what's a guy to do? You seem to be knowledgable on the subject, so lead me to a reputable GTO kit manufacturer that is actively building kits.

Jamie,

I don't think that John Washington is throwing the towel - from what I understand, he is agressively trying to get it back. I know he has access to a few unbuilt kits from old customers.

He has stood behind his creation even though the company is dead with tons of build advice.

My guess is that the VR will be back alive soon.

I hope so - I will probably be building another after this one - I have too many friends that want one smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Arizona Z car has some 250 GTO molds for sale. The GTO kits are fading away. Look for unfinished kits for sale. If they are out there for sale someone on here usually posts them. One member really got a deal recently on an unfinished GTO that was a "heads up" here. John Washington may know of a few kits for sale... Puckett Auto Works in Santee California probably is still making the most realistic kit. (I posted the Puckett telephone and address on one of these threads)Puckett who has been in business for years may have a Datsun kit for a Daytona Ford Cobra too..The problem is no one had the foresight to make GTO 250 molds to fit the 280 ZX which can be purchased cheaply while even the 280 Zs are becomong rare to locate..