HybridZ

Kits available for a 1980 ZX?

Guest the_aphex_effect

Guest the_aphex_effect

Just last week I became interested in the Zs when I found one very inexpensive. It's an 80 ZX, and I've been a kit car dreamer for a long time. Back in the day I bought a Fiero to do a Lambo rebody, but that project went by the wayside for lack of funds and due to the Fiero being my daily driver. Got rid of it and started looking into rotary powered VW chassis and speedster/spyder kits. A friend had acquired a 280ZX from a junk yard that his dad owned. It has a salvage title. He needed money, so now it's mine. Minor rust, and the driver side was side swiped. But it runs, and I bought it with intent to replace a worn L-6 with a 350 and do a frame off restoration. I have found kits for GTOs and the widebody kits, either of which would be perfect as the car needs body panels reworked anyways. Unfortunately, most kits seem to be for the non-zx variety, and 78 seems to be the last year in which you can find anything. I was wondering if anyone has had any success on a rebody for a ZX? I'd like to go either euro-sport or just a widebody would be alright. The car is in pretty poor repair, a little rust here and there, needs new floorpan. But what really sold me on it was that everything is power, and it all works. All guages work, and everything is in tact but the upholstery. I figured it would be a nice resto project. I'll post pictures when the snow melts off the car. Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm looking into my options, and would like to know if anything is available to make this thing really unique. Thanx in advance.

Welcome to hybrid Aphex. John Washington is in the process of getting his fiberglass business back together. He offered two kits for the ZX. One a convertable and the other a Ferrari Daytona.

You can e-mail John and get the latest info on when his kits will be available again.

john@reactionresearch.com

Also, John is a member here. If you do a search in this forum you can read about him.

The Z car fiberglass business is a little flakey to say the least. Funny how some businesses just attract that type. John is not that way. I bought several hundred dollars of products from him. He is a consumate professional and sells only quality pieces.

JMHO,

Dan