HybridZ

YOu Can't Say GTO...

TomoHawk

I read this somewhere:

"From 1962 when the FIA's new rules affecting the former Sports Car category came into effect. Essentially, the rules stated that at least 100 cars of the type must be built in a single year's production to comply with the new category created for Grand Turisimo cars. Ferrari argued that the 250 GTO was a development of the 250 GT swb berlinetta. The FIA permitted this and thus the GTO was allowed to race. The "O" in GTO designates that this model was "Omologazione"

That's how I see it... It really was just a 250 GT with a few bopdy modifications, but still essentially the same.

If some idiot tells me, "that's not a gto, GTO's are from PONTIAC." I'd probably slap it HARD, malebitchslap.gif then tell it, "Ferrari didn't make any GOATS!" :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Where you been, Tom.. any progress on your "goat" Nezzie 76 and I have about completed a hardtop for his topless goat while you were celebrating the holidays

Actually, the "O" stands for “Omologato.â€

Here's a couple of words about that from the write-up on my car that is located on this site. "The first race of the year was the Daytona 24 Hour and Ferrari submitted an entry form for it’s “Homologated†(classified) car. The Italian word for homologated is “Omologato†so the form listed a Ferrari 250 GT Omologato. The race promoters at Daytona shortened the name to fit the form by abbreviating it to the now famous - GTO."

http://www.hybridz.org/Review/0002/Ferrari_GTO.htm

The rest is history! ;)

Guest Anonymous

In the 60's, the Italian factory workers were out on strike every other week which may explain why production records are vague and not many surviving Fiats of that era.