HybridZ

Everyone's selling their GTOs

Guest nezzie76

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the one in CA. My pal John Dozier (TrickZ) and I flew out to Fresno and picked her up. We made it back and had a great time in the process. I arrived late Sunday night tired, but with a silly grin nothing could wipe off my face -I'm sure you can imagine! All in all, the trip went quite well and the car performed very well (excepting the trip over the mountains along I-40). As I'm sure folks know, carbureted autos have trouble when going from sea level to over 7000 feet, but once we came back down, things went fine.

We didn't get to actually leave Fresno until Wednesday afternoon because we got nailed by a couple of mechanics at a place called Performance

Muffler. Let me explain; early Monday morning we took the car to Performance Muffler at 349 N. Minnewawa in Clovis for them to drop the fuel

tank (so we could carry it over to a radiator shop to be cleaned out). In fact, I rented a pickup truck from Enterprise to do it.

Anyway, the job was supposed to take maybe 30 minutes, but when we get back from Enterprise with the truck (Enterprise sent someone to pick us up), they hadn't even started and furthermore, said they didn't want us hanging around and would call as soon as it was ready. Well, we didn't get a call until after 5 PM, at which point they said the tank was very dirty and would take 5 days to be cleaned! Upon querying them about the tank's location (so we could go look at it), they said where it was wasn't any of my business and that in any case, the radiator shop was already closed.

Bright and early Tuesday, the 14th of January, we visited a local wrecking yard where we secured a replacement tank for $100. By the way, a bright

spot of the whole thing was meeting the owner of Turner's Wrecking (a real nice fellow named Jerry Turner), but I digress. Arriving back at the

mechanic's shop at 9 AM, we waited around until after 12 Noon where their business was closed. They simply didn't open their business that day! Then, late that afternoon, one of the mechanics called to tell me he and his partner wouldn't be back at work until the following morning - yup,

another day wasted and another night in Fresno.

Wednesday morning, we waited for them to arrive and around 11 AM one of them arrived and said he's get around to installing the tank later. At this point I became insistent and what transpired is John and I ended up reinstalled the fuel tank ourselves (it took all of 15 minutes)! Next, as

we're finishing, the other partner shows up and presents me with a bill for $400, and smooth as bank robbers, said pay up or they wouldn't lower the car off the lift. What's more, it was cash only, and hurry because they had somewhere to go. Well, as you can imagine, I was upset but with the car up on the lift I feared that if I protested they'd lock up and disappear again. So they got 400 bucks of my $500 traveling money and we finally got on the road.

The rest of the trip was a doodle and (excepting the sour experience with those thieves), the trip was a blast!

FWIW, this is my second SBC Z-car. I boiught my first, a '72 240 in 1978, converted her to a SBC in 1982, and added a GT kit in 1995. Unfortunately, I had to sell her in 1999 when we moved back stateside in 19999 fomr the Panama Canal Zone - yes, I sold everything that wasb't nailed down including my 1966 Maserati Sebring (sob) and my 1973 Pantera (a rust bucket I don't even miss). My pal John has been sending me GT info every few months as they came up for sale but the right circumstances never came together until this one . . . and she's a beauty!