HybridZ

Puckett GTO

Guest Pappy

Alright. I won't be able to start my project until the summer, but I've been trying to decide on which GTO body to get. I had originally planned on getting the Stable Autoworks body. However, after browsing this forum I found out about the Puckett body. It looks to be more true to the original GTO. Could someone who knows more about help me out. Does it retain the Z rear hatch, or is it altered to make it like the gto rear? Also, I couldn't tell from the few pictures I've seen of it. Is the hood pretty much the same as Stable's or is it a bit further back like the gto? Thanks.

Puckett sent me a really nice color brochure, install manual, and price list a few years back.

From the photos I believe that the rear hatch is eliminated and the rear opening is more like a short decklid. The rear clip is one huge molded part and includes the quarters, door sils and roof!!!

Also, they stretch the wheelbase 4" (by moving the front suspension forward), so they do have a longer hood, which makes the proportions more like a real GTO.

Guest Anonymous

Puckett Auto Works in Santee California has always been the unkown factor. Somewhere in the archives I posted the full address and phone number web page Eric Nyerlin posted some Puckett pictures from a brochure on his website that may take some scrolling to locate. Apparenty there was or is a silver 250 on Washington State that is a Puckett with the trunk lid on Kit Cars.com. web page The guy also had an unfinished red one

Thanks for clarifying things guys. I have a feeling that the puckett kit is what I'm going to go with. I think I remember the thread where you posted the information Tomahawk. I guess I'll give them a call.

Charlie Puckett was at one time employed by Tom McBurnie.

He ran a few ads and came to only one show (of which I am aware) with several unfinished cars.

His kits required a frame stretch and were longer between the firewall and the front wheels to make up the difference in wheelbase between the Z and the original GTO.

I think he has been out of business for many years. In fact, I think I saw recently on another Hybrid forum an phone number from a classified ad some member posted for tooling for sale that sounded suspiciously like the Puckett stuff.

Out of curiosity (I have too much brain damage already to bite off someone else's problems) I called the number and left a message. However, I got no response.

I have sold a bunch of parts to a guy in Canada who had Puckett "build him a turnkey." If you are really serious about trying to find a Puckett, I can dig out the guys email address. However, you may be disappointed by what he has to say. I don't think he's a very happy camper.

Thank you very much John. Please don't bother getting his email address. I'd imagine the car would be more expensive than I could afford at this time. Again, thank you.

You might want to check with Eric Neyerlin http://www.zparts.com/inprogress.html for info on the Puckett kits.

BTW, I don't think the silver and read GTO is a Puckett. I saw somewhere on the web that it's a modified Rhino. If you look close you can see that it's on the standard Z wheelbase.

I wish I had welded the hatch up and installed a trunk in mine thought. That is one beautiful car! hail.gif

Guest Anonymous

Speed Racer, I will email the seller and ask him about the car and invite him to join Hybid Z. I heard that the Puckett's came extended and non extended

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Let me be really clear about this. DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PUCKETT. Take it from me and a buddy of mine in New York. He is a liar, storyteller and basic screw up. I had a turnkey car started by Puckett, removed with a lawyer, and finished at expense by another local shop. The owner of the shop had to drag Puckett in to finish details on the car he couldn't. What a load of crap. If I went though anything at all, its worth it to warn you people off this guy. I only have my car by virtue of my stuborn attitude and lots of money. Everything, done on this car had to be redone. Learn from my mistakes boys and girls. Look elsewhere.