HybridZ

Sub-Frame and Inner rocker plans, need help

I made a couple drawings that show the cross section of the rocker panel structure and show how I plan to replace it with tubing and sheet metal. This is just a first effort plan that is why I wanted you guys to look at it and tell me what your worries would be. I also have a picture that shows how the subframe ties into this new inner rocker, so keep that in mind when thinking about the amount of support it will offer. I am particulary concerned with my plans to tie the new inner rocker tubing into the outer rocker using L bent pieces of sheet metal, see the cross section pictures. I think this will give adequate support since the inner rocker tubing will be tied into the door pillar and rear lower quarter areas, but this is just a plan and can change easily. Yahoo won't let me link the pictures here so you will have to look at them on the website.

Frame_rockers

I was talking with another guy and I already see where I could use angle iron for the L bent piece that attaches to the bootom of the tubing and extends downward for the floor pan attachement. The was the spot I was worried about, I think the angle iron will work good there.

Just a followup to this post. I have not found any issues with this current plan to replace the inner rockers. In case anybody looks this post up in the future, I will be implementing this frame setup. I got the pssngr floor pan tacked in place this weekend and got the subframe fab'd up for the passngr side. This coming weekend I will be replacing the inner rocker with 1x3tube and 1x2 angle iron and then boxing it in to the subframe. This setup will allow stock type flanges for mounting the outer rocker, which I will also be replacing. I have access to a nice sheet metal brake in order to bend the L shape flanges for the outer rocker attachement, so this should be a simple process(yeah sure it will). Oh, the rust :cry:

Bryan: I've been following with interest your posts about strengthening the rocker panel area. I've wondered how much strength the stock rocker panels themselves could provide in a Z (or ZX in my case), given that they are just sheet metal (and sometimes pretty rusty sheet metal). From the perspective of my armchair :D , it wouldn't seem like they could provide much. I've wondered about whether it would be possible to tuck some side exhausts into the rocker panel area to avoid them hanging down very much. Of course, there is the heat and noise to contend with so.......

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of your project!

John