HybridZ

Blowthrough setup for triple dcoe?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone seen or know of any information regarding a blowthrough setup on triple sidedrafts. I have researched enough to know that a plenum is needed around the carbs but I haven't been able to solve the linkage issue. Any thoughts (other than FI) and direction will be appreciated.

Has anyone seen or know of any information regarding a blowthrough setup on triple sidedrafts. I have researched enough to know that a plenum is needed around the carbs but I haven't been able to solve the linkage issue. Any thoughts (other than FI) and direction will be appreciated.

On the Mikuni sidedrafts, the bowl is vented to a hole in the front of the carb body, next to one of the air horn inlets. It shared the same sealing surface as the mounting for the air horns. I'm assuming that the Webers had something similar.

When turbocharging, you just need to make sure that this vent hole sees the same pressure as the carb inlets, so that the float bowl has the same pressure on both sides of it - otherwise, no fuel will come out of the jets. The plenum that Cartech used had accomodations for this, so it was not necessary to pressurize the entire triple carb setup.

You should also note that just like the fuel injection systems, you will need a fuel pressure regulator that will reference the fuel pressure to the manifold pressure. In this case though, the pressure needs to be maintained at 4 psi above the plenum pressure. If you don't do this, the pressure in the float bowl under boost will be higher than the fuel pressure, and the bowls will not get any fuel.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response. The webers do have the opening for the float bowl and that will solve the plenum issue. I will run a search but if you have time I now have another question. Are there any systems available that will adjust the fuel pressure under boost? I am concidering running my SC and IC from my Thunderbird SC. I'm looking to get 8-10lbs of boost. I'm parting my Tbird and these parts are in excellent condition. I can also fab the brackest, plenum and IC tubes. I need to solve the fuel delivery problem so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

Guest Anonymous

From what I have researched it appears the fuel issue could be solved with a Holly Blue fuel pump and rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Run a vacuum line off the manifold to the fpr and I should be set. Build the plenum for the carbs, mount the SC, mount the IC, Fab the inlet and outlet to the SC, fab the tubes and machine a new pulley. Am I missing anything?

The available RR FRPs that I know of are not suitable for your application. They are non-linear devices and add more than 1 psi of fuel pressure for each psi of boost. Rising Rate is not the same thing as pressure referenced.

Cartech used to include a Solex pressure referenced 4 psi regulator with their triple Mikuni turbo setup. I have not seen a similar regulator recently. Maybe call Cartech, and see if they have any ideas...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks fror the advice and I'll call Cartech. I did find an Aeromotive rising rate FPR for carbed engines that rises at a 1:1 ratio. It's in my Jegs catalog. The discription read that it was perfect for T/C and S/C applications.

I went and looked around a bit, and I'm guessing you are referring to this FPR.

That regulator will work.

As I mentioned before, that regulator is pressure referenced - it is not a rising rate regulator. There is a difference. Sorry to nitpick, but there is so much confusion out there on this subject.

Guest Anonymous

Sweet! I'm no expert in this area and being detailed is how to teach someone correctly. Thanks for taking the time to steer me in the right direction.