HybridZ

yet another seat question, aftermarket

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

hi guys,

im looking into getting new seats for my 78z. I read the post a couple down and it gave me a place to start my quest! now i'm 6'3 220 and i love how i sit in my z with the stock seats they are reapolstered in black leather and they are very comfey but they dont hold you in place very well when you need them to in that spirited drive to the super market! i looked at the spearco and corbeaus and such but those seats are out of my price range. But I did find on ebay some DAD seat and some other seats made by tenzo, the black and grey rally ones they have i REALLY like and the price i can justify. Has any body put any aftermarket seats in there z thats over 6foot tall and LIKED them? i just dont want to spend 500.00 bucks on seats and have to put a sunroof in my car and drive like tom sellick with my head out the top of the car. What are you guys experiences with affordable aftermarket seats? the more info the better guyg, Thanks Paul

Guest Anonymous

ok i checked out the seat fitment this morning before tackling more rollcage work... the rev's i have are obviously wider in the shoulder than the stocker's. they also have a lower seat in them than the stockers. i quickly fab'ed up a sub frame out of 3/4 sq. tube with some 1/2 cross braces, which i tacked to the seat sliders. this still gave me more head room that with stock seats. the shoulder width of the seat requires it to be move inboard in the car a bit, but it didnt seem too akward (only about an inch and a quarter or so). the top of the seat clears the main hoop, and with the mod's im doing to the crossbar, i should be able to slide the seat back far enuf that i cant reach the pedals very well(im 6' tall!). the only thing that came as a slight surprise was the door bar.... im going to have to move it outboard a little, but thats fine because it can now be dropped to a point that i might not need to install the swingouts i bought with the bar and the armrest will almost clear the bar. if i relocate the back mounting hole for the armrest up about 3/8 in, it will totally clear the door bar.

on a side note i may try and move the top mount for the steering column inboard about 1/2 inch to recenter it...... but this may require relocation of the ignition lock though.

if youre looking for aftermarket seats, be sure the shoulder width isnt more than 23 in..... i believe this is about the max you can fit in a 280z before the bottom of the seat will hit the trans hump, and the shoulder wing blocks the door from closing.

also, you might want to find out how wide your wife/ gf/ significant other's hips are before you change seats..... im a thin fella, but my fiance's hips are a bit, ummm, well you know. lets just say she wasn't pleased with my selection after she sat in them. but she'll probably only ride in it once or twice, as she doesnt care for my driving style too much.

hope this helps,

dominic