HybridZ

Head gasket blown???

Guest Drewz

Guest Drewz

Okay before I tear down my 72 302 I want some poinions first. This is in my truck and it sometimes will puke out antifreeze, or run fine, heat disappears, or I check the rad and it is low but when I start it it is full. There doesn't seem to be oil in the antifreeze I checked it cold and hot. I replaced the thermostat, waterpump was toast and made sure the rad was flowing well. When I burp the air out of the system the heat is great, it runs fine, and there is no smell from the exhaust. I drive it to work and I thought I saw a little smoke (but it is cold out) when I get to work which is 7 kms the rad is full and heat is fine. I let it sit half the day and the rad is low. When I drive home the rad is real low (4 to 6 liters). A couple of the plugs seem fairly white off of the drivers side and the other two are a nice light light brown. There is a little grey foam in the breather filter but not in the valve cover when I look in the oil filler cap side. I was told head gaskets aren't common on 302's but I think the guy I got it from overheated it.Also there was a little foamy oil that came out of the dipstick tube ONCE. The tube and dipstick are clean now so I need to double check my assumption that the head gaskets are toasted. I don't have access to a cooling system pressure tester or I would go that route as well. HELP ME!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil::?:

Blown Head Gskt or Cracked Cyl Head. When the Spark Plugs are spot clean-it means they are being "Steam Cleaned" by the hot coolant as it passes through the combustion chamber.

Hope I read your question/post correctly.

If you are not leaking coolant, water pump is not leaking, nor your dipstick sludge-brown: and are still loosing coolant-then you have a blown head gasket or cracked cyl.head.

How often do you have to add coolant: everyday?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Drewz

every day is right. I am pretty sure the gasket is toast they way it is acting. How likely is it the head is cracked? I thought that was real rare on a V8? :cry::cry: