HybridZ

Clutch return spring

dsommer

Question. T-5 tranny out of a Camaro, I fabbed a U shaped bracket to bolt to the bellhousing in front of the slave cylinder to hold the return sping. NOW how in the heck do you drill the CLUTH FORK? That damn thing is tough!!! Any other options? This and electric fan wiring are the only things keeping me from rolling this Z down the road (to the muffler shop!!!) Please help.

Thanks,

ds

Guest greimann

You might try locally annealing the spot where you want to drill. Use a torch and heat the spot cherry red and let cool slowly. It will now be soft enough to drill.

I'll give it a try but read earlier that it is made out of spring steel so it's a tough SOB to drill while it's in the car :evil: I'm going to try a stouter drill bit and an air drill next to see if that works.

Any body else have a sugguestion or HOW did you set your return spring up up on a T-5?

ds

Guest greimann

The fork is made of heat treated steel. If you heat it red hot locally (not the whole thing) and let it cool slowly, you remove the heat treating and it should drill just fine. "Spring steel" is a level of heat treating that gives a length of steel spring like qualities.