HybridZ

turbo clutch conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im putting an stock 82zxt motor out of a 2+2 automatic into a '77 coupe with a 4spd. I would like to retian the 4spd but i need to replace the cluch. will the flywheel from the 77 bolt to the 82? also im thinking i should use a turbo clutch will that work with the 77 tranny input shaft? if i did use a turbo clutch could i use the 77 non-turbo flywheel? if anyone has any sugestions on any of this i would greatly appretiate it.

Guest Tim78zt

Hi ZGH!

I just finished doing something very close to this in my 78 Turbo. My 78 flywheel fits perfect, so I'll bet your '77 will. You do need to install a pilot bushing. Some guys like the Nismo needle bearing replacement. You will see many opinions on which clutch is best, and you didn't ask, but I like the Clutchmasters kevlar for street use. Be sure you have the flywheel resurfaced by a good shop. Good luck with your swap!

Tim78zt

Yes, the 77' flywheel will bolt on no problem. All L28s have the same flywheel bolt pattern and flange.

Before installing the flywheel, remove the small disc that is pressed on the end of the crankshaft for the automatic flexplate. A freind of mine didn't remove this, and spent a couple months trying to figure out why his cluthc was slipping.

Also, buy a complete clutch kit and replace everything (pilot bushing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and disc).

Pete