HybridZ

4 speed automatic for 360

A. G. Olphart

I'm considering a 360 swap for my 240Z, but need to run a solid 4 speed OD automatic. (In GM land both the 700R4 and the 200R4 are said to break under horsepower without massive improvement $$$). Is there a stock mopar 4 sp auto that can handle 4-500 HP long term and that doesn't require computer controls? I've not played Mopar since 904/727 days, so I'm totally clueless on the 4 speeds.

As the project is still in the planning stage, I could use all the other obvious answers also... Whose headers fit (model #'s), a motor mount adapter drawing if there is one floating around, proper damper, will the Edelbrock Performer RPM/Holley combo fit under the hood, etc.

Thanks-

Thanks for the feedback John. I was hoping there might be a Mopar tranny expert hanging around (or passing through). I guess I need to research the four speed automatics to learn of their torque capacity, how to make them shift etc. So far I know that 1990 and later vans run the 518 (727 derivative) but I don't know if it is computer controlled or hydraulic like the 727. Guess I keep looking.

• 2 months later...
Guest Pyrogen_007

I am not an expert, but because I have some dealings with 4 spd autos from mopar, the 518 and 618 trannys are hydaulic, basically a 904 with OD. Its not until you get to the 42FE family of )trannys that you have the problem of computer control, you can find a nice v8 OD tranny in most Dakotas up until 92 for sure and maybe 96. I know its been a while since you posted but I hope this helps.

Check out "Chrysler Performance Upgrades" book by Frank Adkins, he provides all of this info on the A/T swaps, uprades, etc. You're looking for A-518 (based on the A-727 3-spd), it was introduced in 1989, uses hydraulic governor for governor pressure, o/d and lock-up controlled by powertrain control module.

Newly designated to 46RH in '92. (47RH is heavier duty version used behind Cummins diesel).

46RE is based closely on A-518/46RH but uses electronic govenor, separate transmission computer, and related wiring.

The take-home lesson seems to be to stay away from the 46RE due to the extensive computer wiring. Adkins suggests keeping it simple by using an A-518/46RH trans and wire two simple toggle switches: one for 4th gear shift, and one for lock-up convertor. After driving m/t cars for years, flipping a switch off & on should be no big deal...maybe put the wiper switch on the dash somewhere and use the present switch for the trans switches.

The o/d transes are longer and tailhousings bulkier than non-o/d transes.

Magnum 5.9 souces won't have enough weights on the torque convertor and will need added to for use on a pre-'93 360 engine. Good luck! DAW

• 2 months later...