HybridZ

Measuring my IC efficiency

Guest Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

I borrowed a hand-held pyrometer over the weekend and measured some temps to check IC efficiency mostly. Threw in a few other measurements just for fun. The first number...the higher #, is before the IC. The lower #is after the IC. I'm pretty sure this is not really as precise as measuring the actual air temp inside the piping; I was measuring the surface pipe temps. It does tell me my IC is working the way it should. In case you missed the post about my install, I have a Corky Bell Special with 2.25" tubing.

end tanks...104/90 (outside ambient Sunday was around 75 or 80deg!!)

under hood...133/96 (ambient at the strut tower was 97)

at compressor outlet pipe...160

same pipe nearer the rad support...108

air cleaner element (on compressor housing)...111

intake manifold front closest to #1 runner...124

intake manifold rear closer to #6 runner...160

I was surprised at the difference from the front to the back of the intake! It does have a heat shield (it is a '75 non-egr) but WOW! That 160 is right back up to the compressor outlet temp!!

Tim78zt

The only way to make such a test meaningful is under full boost measuring the temp at the compressor outlet and at the TB. The closer the TB temp is to ambient the better. You also want to measure boost at the compressor outlet and at the manifold to see the pressure drop between the 2 points. Keep in mind that the plumbing will also affect pressure drop.