HybridZ

350 small motor mounts and tranny swap questions????????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous
:?: Since the LT1's block is the same as a 350 small can I use it to put it in my Z32(with what type of motor mounts can I use and how much cutting do I have to do to make it fit). Also I'm tryin to make it a manual, is that going to be problem???? Thanks for the help....

There are few general rules in engine swapping, but Mike's observation is quite valid . . . though I employ it slightly differently. I like to think I save myself for the special stuff so "I never make anything I can buy." Same thing, really . . . sort of.

That said, here are a couple pieces of advice. First, despite having Z-car since 1978 and with a SBC V-8 in it 1982 (i.e.a fair amount of experience) I, nonetheless, recently spent 35 bucks for the Chevy V-8 to Z-car swapping-maual from Jags That Run. What a great resource! There was even a glimpse of some fool's car with a Lexus 32-valve quad-cam motor in it :>)

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Also, for what it's worth, while I was at it I purchased the TPI/TBI swapping manual too (I'm putting a T-56 into my car and it has some pertinent info). Both are great and make good reading. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is you get your money's worth. In fact, I think if you're contemplating this swap and don't buy their mauals you're nuts! Why? Because while you have to be a little crazy to want a V-8 Z-car in the first place, there's no sense in being stupid and making it harder than neccessary. What's more, they even have a workable set of mounts and brackets in kit form ($325) which makes the job a doodle! Chock full of good tips and advice, this good buy. Here's their web site.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_TPI_TBI_V-8.html

Hence, short of having a pal who's done the swap help you do it, this is the best resource for and guidebook money can buy. Recommended.