HybridZ

Clear coat

madmanadam

:x

Help,

I have started to paint my car again, this time with no help.

The paint had lifted twice, fix that part but it was getting late

and I wanted to get a shot of clear on the car before I went to bed, well when I was blowing the air out of the garage I had some sheet rock dust land on the car :x , not happy.

So I went to bed.

My question is can I shoot the car with more clear after I wet sand the crap out?

The paint is a two part base coat, clear coat.

Please advise.

one thing after another all I want is it to shine and drive.

Thanks

Adam

Guest freakypainter

yes you can re-clear. let the car sit for a few days then wet sand the car and any trash/dirt with some 1200 grit. if you happen to break through the clear you can spot in some base and then reclear. next time blow out the garage before you start painting, or talk to your local automotive paint store, some shops will rent their paint booths on the weekends to do-it-yourselfers.

Thanks freakypainter,

I had the garage all clean and floor even wet, but when blowing the air,

I hit a hole in the ceiling which I forgot about, oh well, first timer.

I do know how to us a sander the car has been down to metal about 3

times. First time, real paint and lots of mistakes. I will not do again.

If I burn or sand to the base I'm screwed, used pearl on the base.

Hoping this would make easier to fix spots later, saved a quart of pearl mixed. fog a spot and hope not to show a spot.

when is the soonest time I can sand runs? :oops:

Thanks Again

Adam

Guest freakypainter

your not screwed if you burn through, even if its a tri coat or a candy. I paint at a cadillac dealer and have to blend pearl coats all the time. ever notice how many white pearl caddys are on the road? instead of using a sander or a d.a. sander try a hard block and some 1200 grit wet and slowly sand the dirt out. if you have enough clear on the car you can sand the dirt out and then buff the clear to a shine as if it was never there. you can also do the same thing with runs/sags. as far as the basecoat, if you used a 2 stage base(a base color and then a pearl color and then a clear) start with the first color and make sure you cover where you burned through. then go to the pearl, just make sure that with each coat you go alittle farther than the previous. for example if you burned through a spot the size of a dime, the first coat of base would be slightly larger than a dime, the second slightly larger, than with the first pearl coat you would want to spray slightly larger than you last coat of base and so on. than you can spray the clear over the entire panel. there are ways of blending clear but i wouldnt recomend it, way to much can go wrong. hope i didnt confuse you.

Wow, :-D Thanks

Will let the car sit for a bit then will work on the run/sag stuff.

I have a lot of other things to do, I just need to leave it alone.

I do have a block and 600 up 2000 git, bought alot when a store

close by went on sale.

Printed and saved thanks alot

The back half of the car is looking ok, need some work.

Learning

Adam

• 1 month later...

Wow what a pain in the back, sanding buffing sanding.

Well all done for now ran out of time, so I'm calling quits on the paint job

The car looks 85% better then last year.

The car to me is a 5 foot car, got great shine, in the dark.

The only reason I have been killing myself on this car for the past two months is because the city I live in (Everett Wa.) is having a cruise to Colby. Last year I entered and the car was half sanded and front airdam

was not painted.

This year new tires different grill, new wheels/tires, and the car shines or

at lease a little, still need to buff more. The car is one color ! :D

I have a question, I would still like to sand more of the orange peel out of the car but no time. Will it be alright to clean and wet sand after a month

or two?

I plan on just driving the car the rest of the year the way it is and mybe do a bit here and there so I'm not down from driving the car.

Any thoughts?

I need to do more painting to get better, so I think I will paint my bike to see if smaller is better.

Still learning

Oh almost forgot I did gost flames on my hood coming from my hood scoop, doesnt look to bad looks marblely/gost flames, cant see them till your almost on top of them.

Had to share, I would right more but putting in words is hard to do some times.

Enjoy drive safe and keep smiling

Adam :D

Guest gprix1

I've always wondered. Is there a way that a car with faded clearcoat that still has a good color be wet sanded and have the clearcoat re-done?