HybridZ

Cryo-treatment for metal parts

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I just bought an intake manifold from a guy who has recently started his own Cryogenic treatment company. I met him yesterday, but have been in contact with him for about a month now. The bonus is he is a Datsun guy, just like all of us. He also has family that lives in my city.

Anyway, about the treatment process, visit his website http://www.cryosciencetechnologies.com for all the details. He gave me an individualized price sheet for parts. A few examples are

Cranks are $122, rods are $8.25 each, brake rotors are $170 for all four.

Just about any metal part can be treated. He told me of a GT3 MG that had ALL of its engine done. I'm talking about bearings, valve springs pistons, rings, rods, you name it. The engine has run for 3 seasons(over 50 races), last year it lost oil pressure during a race(not all of it, but it dropped down to about 20psi). They decided to finsish the race anyway, as the engine had paid for itself already anyway by lasting so long. When they tore the engine down to see what had happened, they discovered the oil pump check valve had come loose. While they had it apart, the checked the bearings, and were stunned that they looked like new. They put the engine back together with ALL if the same parts(new check valve), and are still running it. Another racer had his rotors treated, during a race his pads and rotors went metal to metal. Again, the driver decided to finsh the race as is. After the race, he checked the rotors, and found no grooves or any signs of wear.

Also, engine parts can be treated BEFORE machining. The machinists like the stuff as it machines very finely. I was alittle skeptical about the brake rotors not having wear, espacially after he said the parts machine so well. But, then I know from experiance that machinists tooling is very hard metal, much harder than brake pad rivots, and is intended to cut other metals. And the same goes for the tools the machinists use, carbide cutters, drills, etc... those tools can benifit from the process as well.

As you can see, I'm sold on the process. Not becuase of Todds sale pitch :roll: , but becuase I have done further research on it. I am getting my L6 Stroker crank, Rods, maybe even the pistons, rings, bearings, and block done when the time comes.

If you are interested in seeing some of his Datsun parts for sale, check out his other website, http://www.wolfcreekracing.com . He specailizes in Mikuni carbs. I got to see one of his race cars, a '70's 200SX with a L20B well prepped and it had huge 50mm Mikunis on it. He showed me an engine he had just gotten that had a FIA GT2 head on it. I couldn't believe the size of the ports, AS CAST. Why couldn't Nissan have made one of those for the L6? Damn!

Guest Anonymous

after reading your letter jamie, i did a search and found another co that does the same thing. some parts seem to be a little cheaper. http://www.cryoscience.com. i had asked around about getting my c/v`s heat treated. no results. this co will do it for $35 a shaft. a buddy of mine races dirt track limmited and he keeps breaking the required stock rockers. this may resolve his problem and mine too.

I too have done alot of research for cryogenic treatment. Just waiting for my vacation time to take off and go.

I found a place in Washington that will treat my entire new engine assembly parts, including block, diff, trans, axles, rotors and a few misc, parts for 750.

Donna