HybridZ

Diesel Main Cap Bolts

speeder

I have forgotten where I saw a reference on how to distinguish diesel main cap bolts from the common Z type bolts.

I have some bolts with a "12" on the cap that I think designates the stronger diesel parts. Am I right?

Also, anyone know the proper torque spec for the diesel bolts?

I have forgotten where I saw a reference on how to distinguish diesel main cap bolts from the common Z type bolts.

I have some bolts with a "12" on the cap that I think designates the stronger diesel parts. Am I right?

Also' date=' anyone know the proper torque spec for the diesel bolts?[/quote']

Rick - I thought that the diesel main cap bolts were actually a different (larger) size than the gas versions. I seem to recall the diesel bolts being 12mm vs 10mm on the gas engines.

Tim, you're thinking of the head bolts, which are 12mm on the diesel.

Since posting this , I managed to search on zcar.com and found that the Diesel main cap bolts do indeed have a "12" on their cap.

I then remembered that I have a Maxima FSM laying around that gives torque specs for this bolt - 51-61 ft-lb.

Still don't remember where I first heard about these bolts being an upgrade for the L28... but they do fit.

I'm rebuilding a stock L28 turbo motor to put in the car while waiting for the excruciatingly slow process of getting the max effort stroker together -I had upgraded fasteners for everything but the Maincaps.

Yeah, I know, but the stocker is getting an economy rebuild with parts on hand. I'm conserving money for the stroker, which will have no compromises - and will have ARP studs.

How's your new engine install progressing?