HybridZ

240Z - 300zx tt engine swap

Guest Anonymous

I know of only 1 proper swap done.

Very expensive. huge PITA! (according to the owner)

definite WOW factor.. fast too!

There is NO documentation on this swap...so it will be mostly reinventing the wheel.

Sorry I have very little else...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I was wondering about this swap too.. my thing is that i would like to keep my Z jap.. and preferably keep it nissan.. what options are out there?

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering about this too.. ive got an '87 maxima which is the same motor, NA that is.. but still wondered what a swap would be like.. Motor has alot of wear and tear on it.. but just for the idea.. wonder how hard it would be......

-Joey

Guest Anonymous

Oh btw stinky, the 300 ZX motor that was in the earlier models, Im positive of this, was the same exact motor that was in the Maxima's, only difference is that there arent any Turbo maximas out there that came from the factory that way.. I actually thought once of buying a trashed 300ZX for the turbo motor and dropping it in my Maxy, lol Imagine the sleeper possibilities... Only problem is that is a FF car.. and I dont know if the turbo would be in the way of anything sense it'd be transversly mounted....... Might have to look into that! that would be one hell of a fun project....

-Joey

Guest Anonymous

I know its bad to reply to my own message, but im getting excited thinking about an engine swap out of a 300ZX. Im going to call the local Nissan Tech and ask him about it.. that would be awsome. Hell I already tackle most honda's as it is stock.. so if I went Turbo and got an intercooler and a CAI i bet Id be pushing some great HP #'s :shock: and quick times....Id have to get a boost gauge.. omg this is going to be sweet!! Muahaha then ill have a 78 Z and a 87 Maxy thats just as fast... :twisted: muhahahahahaha.... the possibilites are endless.......

-The deranged Joseph

Edit: Note that I didnt mean by bolting in an intercooler and getting a CAI system would I get horse power, I was mearly throwing out a few new mods that would be needed.. and coinceidently the fact that doing that engine swap would give me more HP, happened to come into my thoughts @ the same moment. Please disregard the seemingly Ricer remark...

- The Less Deranged Joseph

Guest 1320the260

actually you'd be suprised at how much more power you would get from adding an intercooler and CAI, not to mention you could run more boost....

Guest Anonymous

Do you think ID run into any difficulties doing the swap? Im going to the nissan dealership now.. so ill check back later tonight.

Do a bit a a search on jap domestic maximas ( sometimes called Ceferio).

Some of them were v6 turbo from the factory albeit in 2 lt form. They are pretty cheep here so i would guess you could pick the bits you would need cheeper then if you tryed to get them of a zx or individually.

Douglas

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

wouldnt the engine from the maxima be slightly different in the fact that the maxima is FWD and the 300zx is RWD? Just a question... i dont really look into FWD cars much... if at all hehe.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering about this too.. ive got an '87 maxima which is the same motor' date=' NA that is.. but still wondered what a swap would be like.. Motor has alot of wear and tear on it.. but just for the idea.. wonder how hard it would be......

-Joey[/quote']

i have a third gen but this is what i've done. these are somewhat old pictures, i'll get new ones when i find the digi camera (moved to kansas).

DSCF0499.sized.jpg

more pictures can be viewed here http://www.nissanx.net/gall/mtcookson just look for the engine and turbo stuff.

Guest Dan0myte

Can someone please take measurements of their VG30DETT engine block and head? It would be very helpful to have a LxWxH of the complete engine for future reference.

Guest 70240z

Yeah I can take some measurements..

A little update..

Pieces for our 240Z TT Conversion..

Made the Header Flange prototype.. This is not an actual piece thats going to be used though notice the thickness and the larger whole in the center. Good thing is I have the CNC machine programmed to actually make a production piece =)

2DSCN3149.jpg

Front suspension removed now fitting up frame reinforcement so the body wont twist like a fish.

Special thanks to DANDOS Automotive for supplying the material.. http://dandos.com they have the pieces in a kit format for those who are interested in beafing up the strength of the body.

2DSCN3144.jpg

2DSCN3130.jpg

Piping arrived for the headers. Figured with the engine out I'd just slapped a few of the peices together to check for the look.

This set up will only be a prototype finished product would be in Stainless..

2DSCN3142.jpg