HybridZ

Alternator - Voltage Regulator 260z Help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a '74 260z with a '78 280z engine swapped in... My problem is with the Alternator I believe. The battery isnt holding a charge. The car starts and runs fine when jumped but doesnt have the volts to run lights etc. The previous owner suggested that I swap out the original alternator and voltage regulator (which is currently disconnected) with a late 80s maxima alternator with built in volt reg.

My question is this: Would any alternator that i got with a voltage regulator require splicing of wires to plug in, or is there a harness for that? Also, i have seen previous posts on 240z, 280zx's that are swapping GM alternators in... is that an option for me? Has anyone else had to replace an alternator in a 260z? please reply with any helpfull advice. thank you[/code]

I just did the GM alternator swap about 5 months ago in my early 260Z. Well, Actually it was an aftermarket chrome replacement for a GM, but basically the same thing. Mine was a one wire alternator, which works fine. If you want, email me personally and I can tell you what I did to eliminate the external voltage regulator and wire in the alternator, which is all a piece of cake. This all assuming you have an early 260Z, ofcourse. From my understanding, the wiring was alittle different on the late compared to the early 260Z.

I have a digital camera to send pics if need be.

Guest Anonymous

i sent you an email yesterday, if you could reply i would really appreciate it.

if anyone else has 260z specific info on alternator replacement/swap please reply, or email me.

thanks

For those that have shown enough interest to this modification on their early 260Z as to email me, I have sent you a write up that I put together. I have PM'ed superdan about posting it somewhere on the site, for any one else that may need it. I am waiting for a response, but for anyone else that may need this info, email me and I'll send you the .doc

Guest MistressMotorsports

If I change my car (L6) to a single wire alternator, what combination of alternators and mounting brackets are required? Is it necessary to fab an alternator mounting bracket, or is there something commonly available?

Mike

• 4 years later...

Is it bad to quote yourself? LOL

I have had several people over the years ask me for my humble little write-up. I just recently had yet another person ask about receiving it. Unfortunately I lost it in a PC crash. Can the few I sent it to get in contact with me? I would like to get it back so I can continue to send it to other people in need.

For those that have shown enough interest to this modification on their early 260Z as to email me, I have sent you a write up that I put together. I have PM'ed superdan about posting it somewhere on the site, for any one else that may need it. I am waiting for a response, but for anyone else that may need this info, email me and I'll send you the .doc

• 2 years later...
Is it bad to quote yourself? LOL

I have had several people over the years ask me for my humble little write-up. I just recently had yet another person ask about receiving it. Unfortunately I lost it in a PC crash. Can the few I sent it to get in contact with me? I would like to get it back so I can continue to send it to other people in need.

i know this is old but i gave it a shot anywase but did you get the wireing write up back i realy need help with this alternator problem in the 260z