HybridZ

300z NA, good idea?

Guest tt350

Guest tt350

I found a 93-95 300z NA at the local junkyard, and he wants 400 bucks for both the diff and the brakes. Good price?

Is this diff the R230 LSD or not, and is it a good idea to convert my Z's rear brakes to 300z rear brakes? Is it a simple process?

Thanks

Guest tt350

Bumpety Bumb Bump!

Come on, someones gotta Know!

I searched (if thats why your not answering) but I couldnt find anything about n/a 300z's.

Guest 3154tm

looked at two r230s recently. both were vlsd. one from a '91 300zx and one from an infinity q45. they both had the little orange tag on them that said vlsd. hope this helps.

I think the 300ZX is a VLSD not the LSD. I think the 300ZXT used the LSD but not 100% sure. The differences is the shafts betweent he VLSD and the LSD as far as install goes. Both should be for a 12mm or 13mm ring gear bolt but they will bolt on a R-200 10mm ring gear bolt with bushings that you can get from either MM or your local machinist. Go here for a view of the shafts.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20563

You can make the VLSD work in the R-200 case but you will need to get the CV's customized or find some other solution. Like a plate mounted to the inner stub and then bolt on your old U-joint half shaft. I prefer the LSD as it is almost bolt on and go. You only have the issue of the 10mm, 12mm, or 13mm bolt on the ring gear to address there. Easy enough with bushings if your using a 10mm ring gear.

The Brakes are another issue. I have looked into this BREIFLY and the gains on the brakes are not that much more than the 280ZX stuff. The pad is larger on the 300ZX but not much larger than the 280ZX/Maxima/200SX and others. The 300ZX is twin piston, where the others are single but if your looking to upgrade and get nasty in the rear, get a set of four pistons for the rear on 13" rotors. Also you will still need the E-brake assembly, WilWood sells a nice cheap guy that you could get to work. The effort will be about the same for the stock Nissan stuff as aftermarket 13" stuff. The only difference is the price...the 13" is going to cost a lot more. As for the fronts, you didn't say if they were included or not but they are the same pad as the Toyota upgrade (they even fit the caliper body) and the Toyota is bolt on where the Nissan requires a custom plate. They both are four piston and the Nissan's are cast aluminum were the Toyota's stuff is cast iron so you have advantages with that too

For the cost of $400.00 it isn't bad but you may want to consider the effort needed on both the brakes and VLSD carrier. Mike

Guest tt350

So the whole r230 does NOT bolt in in place of the R180? I thought I saw it on Darius's car. What orange tag are you guys talkin about? I thought the late model Z was called the 300z, not 300zx.

Ok, ill start looking for the Toyota front brakes. I really dont need monster rears. What year Zx'x brakes should I use, and what year/model pickup toyota truck should I use for front brakes. Thanks.