HybridZ

what does this dial do?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have had my '74 260z for almost a week. I started working on the interior today by taking out the center console, with the choke, stick, stereo, etc. I noticed that almost all of the switches have harnesses that unplug from the car for easy removal but one didn't, its a small black knob right between the choke and defogger lights. When i got the car there were alot of things not working, either unplugged or shot... and this appears to be one of them, it is not labeled and this is my first pre-1990 car....

i was hoping that someone could shed some light on what the heck this knob controls, and more importantly, is it ok to snip the copper wire/hanger looking thing behind it that runs back behind the dash.

thank you.

Don't snip it if you want to keep your air conditioning. Although the placement is unusual (most that I've seen have been mounted in an aftermarket panel to the left of the console, underneath the cigarette lighter) the wire/hanger thing sounds like the tube that runs to the evaporator of your air conditioner, regulating how cold the evaporator gets before shutting off the freon flow.

Of course, if you're like 90 percent of the folks on this board, your AC doesn't work ANYWAY, so cutting the regulator tube won't affect a single thing!

Oh, and welcome to the board! You'll find it a wealth of info.