HybridZ

A call for help in the Bay area

Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry about double posting. I am anxious. I have been told that my clutch is going. Now that it has been hot in Oakland my clutch has been slow to reset after I shift. Real sluggish. I was told by the Z Doctor over the phone that it sounded like the clutch is going. Does this sound right?? My next question is does 575.00 sound high for a clutch job parts included? I am sure they mark up parts a lot so I can probably save 100.00 if I bought my own. But is this high? Next, does any of you know anyone who would do it for less? is there any of you that would take it on yourself? I can most certainly help. I have a slightly slopping parking spot and only have two small jack stands, so I can't do it myself. I am a draftsman and have access to a laser cutter and small casting ability, so I can help others with some stuff if needed too. I just don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to.

As always any help is greatly appreciated. I don't know how long I have untill it quits and it is my daily driver, so any posts soon is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Can you explain what you mean by slow to reset after shifting and being sluggish. Although I've just recently replaced the entire clutch assembly on my Z but I'm still pretty new to driving a stick. If you are having trouble shifting into gear, try unhooking the clutch slave cylinder's return spring on the tranny. If you can shift pretty well with the spring unhooked, then you're simply losing engagement due the enlarged pin hole, where the clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal hook together. You'll have to take the pedal to a shop to have it weld up the hole and redrill to 8mm or 5/16" depending on which size of clevis pin you can find.

If that's not the case, bleed the clutch system if you haven't done so. If that doesn't work, guess you'll have to replace the clutch/pressure plate. It took me 4 weekends to complete the clutch repair myself as I had never done it before, bleeding the clutch and brake systems, and replaced brake pads/shoes. I used four jack stands and a floor jack with tranny adapter. You can buy the entire clutch kit for about $100 from Kragen, AutoZone, or Pepboys (typically on special order). I'm afraid I won't have time to help you replace the clutch. Nevertheless, I'll try to answer any questions you may have. A service manual is a must if you want to do it yourself. Factory and Clymer ones are the best.

Regards,

Wilbur

It's really difficult to acertain over the internet whether or not your clutch is bad but here's my advice. It may be your clutch, but it might also be your clutch hydraulics. Depending on when these items were last replaced, it might not be a bad idea to replace the master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch line. You can always try bleeding the system first to see if that helps, and then start replacing the hydraulics.

$575 for a complete clutch job including parts isn't a complete ripoff but it is on the high-side. But, you have to remember that you're living in one of the most expensive states in the Union and most shops charge at least $75/hr if not more. Figure about 1.5-2.0 hours of labor + parts when comparing rates.