HybridZ

About to buy a '70 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was driving home today, and i saw a very poorly painted old z car sitting in someones yard. I have been thinking about buying a z car for a project so i can maintain my warranty on my current car.

SO what im asking this place. I have done a search already and ic ant really find the info im looking for, so please no flames. What is the engine code on the 1970 240? The guy that i talked to said that he had a different head sitting in the garage for it that would up the3 compression a point or so. The head that was on it at the moment was the E88 and he had the dual weber setup and a 280z 5 speed in place of the stock tranny. Id like to know, where can i find parts for this car? Is there a turbo setup made for it? etc....I've been to courtesy parts.com and they only sell parts starting at 1972, will those parts work? I honestly dont know JACK About this car so ANY information would be truly appreciated.

also, im pretty sure i can get the car for less than $1000 im thinking about $750 since the body needed some work and the interior was demolished.

What do you think?

Guest 240hybrid

http://www.zcarparts.com I dont have the website for victoria british, they deal with Zcar parts also, but I've found that MSA is cheaper that them on just about everything. Search around this site and bit and that'll answer your questions about turbo motor setups. As far as motor modification, I believe that the motor you use has to meet the emissions of the year motor you have in the car. I believe your in the clear as far as emissions for the 70 240 your looking at. I believe the limit here in GA is that a 25 year old car is exempt from emissions testing. Good luck with your new Z and welcome to the board.

Chase

Guest Anonymous

Im not really worried about emissions, I am in alabama and we have no emission laws as of yet.

Do you happen to know the engine code? is it the Im guessing since its a 240 then the engine code is the L-24?

is this also the r-180 rear end?

Guest 240hybrid

yeah the engine code is L24 for the 240, L26 for 260, etc. 2.4 litres=240z, 2.6litres=260z, etc. The codes/serial #s are printed on the passenger side of the block, above and to the left of the oil filter. The head type is one this side too, printed further toward the front on the bottom of the head. What type head is the spare he has?? As for the rear end it should be a R180 thats in it. R200 differentials came in the 260z, the 280z, and all of the 2+2 models. R200s are rounded more and beefier. R180s are rectangular in shape with rounded corners. A R200 is always a nice upgrade. Like to see some pics of the Z when you pick it up.

Chase