HybridZ

Construction starting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright Gentlemen, the time is come when I must begin this work and I want as many pics and as much advice I can get from you all! This includes the sheet metal work.

I want to prepare a 9" ford rearend with 4 bar and it's crossmember, rear frame rails, and full frame rails from the 4 bar cross member all the way up to the fromt including all those necessary crossmembers.

The engine will be a normally aspirated "Full Houe" BBC with TH400 trans.

the 9" rear with 1" axles, big bearings etc. The tires are MT29X18.50 wrinkle walls mounted on 15" x 14" wide rims.

The car is a rust free 1970 240Z. It is presently fully stripped and on jack stands. The structual strength of the work preformed must be able to withstand at least 600 HP at the rear wheels.

I have a smaller sheet metal saw ($75.00), acetylene torches and a MIG welder (which is on the way). I fear I am not yet equipped to do the work and need a "Sawsall" for the sheet metal cutouts. Please advise etc.

This is not a rush job. I expect the whole thing to take about 2-1/2 years, but getting started is very important to me so I can keep planning on ahead. You can E-maol me to your hearts delight. If the data is too large then split it up and send it that way. If it is still too large then I will pay for delivery of your CD's containing your personal experience pic's and advice.

Shall we begin?.....

You have to have a grinder! With a couple of diferent attachment you can do a lot with one. I have a wire brush. grinding and cut wheels and a sanding pad on mine. I have done all the fab work on my race car and the metal replacement on the z with this, a drill and a mig. One thing i really would like is a sheet metal bender. If you find a small one at a good price it would be very usefull.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

ZROSSA;

Thanx for the tip! The sheet metal bender you mention is called a "Break". I have seen a new smaller one, I beleive it was in the 4-500 dollar range. Still not cheap enough for me! They do make Breaks for different kinds of work. This one was for flat work, others I have seen are much smaller because they are used for short angle bends. These would be cheaper of course but not for what one might need basically.