HybridZ

What Happens If...

Guest EnthuZiast

Well realistically you could have a perfectly fine engine there. But it isn't a matter of bolting on a turbo really. It would involve the turbo + exhaust manifold, making new exhaust piping, and new intake piping as a minimum. However, at that point you'd have a turbo but it would be doubtful that your stock NA fuel injection would be happy about it. You'd have to find a way to supply more fuel, which would probably involve a new fuel pump, new pressure regulator, new injectors, an extra injector, or something along those lines. Plus at this point you'd have a fairly restrictive intake system, as the NA cars weren't opened up for as much airflow as the turbo engines were. (ie: throttle bodies, AFM, etc) To really make decent power you'd have to swap all that stuff to the turbo parts. (which are probably STILL undersized really) So at that point, the only thing holding you back would be your camshaft probably, which isn't designed to be used with a turbo. You could swap in the turbo cam too I suppose. Of course then you might want to concern yourself with the higher compression ratio of the NA engine (which really isn't THAT high) and the weaker piston ring lands... It might be worth while to swap out the pistons too... Hey, and the head while you are at it! Of course, then the block is weaker in the NA car than the turbo car as well...

I guess what I am trying to say is that you would be infinitely further ahead (both as far as time and money go) by finding a running turbo car with lots of rust, and swapping the whole engine over. ;) You'll find 1000 people here that will testify that projects snowball uncontrollably, and even if you think you'd be happy with the minimum, chances are you'll want more very soon. :-D