HybridZ

enamel, acrylic ??

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

What are some ways to tell if your old paint is enamel or acrylic? The car has been repainted within the past few years, so Im pretty sure its acrylic, but want to make sure. Also, after sanding most of the car, can you safely paint acrylic over enamel, or is it the other way around?

Thanks

Chase

Guest Carlissimo

You can't apply laquer over the top of enamel. (Not without a whole lot of trouble). Enamel will cover laquer nicely, however. That is why most cars that are repainted are done with enamel.

Guest 240hybrid

Excuse the ignorance on paint (still learning :o ) , when using Transtar autobody technologie's 2k acrylic urethane primer how much sanding is required for the proper application and good adhesion of this primer. I read in a mag. that only roughening of the surface then 600 grit paper to smooth it all out is all that is needed for priming.

Thanks again Chase

Guest 240hybrid

The car is already painted and needs a new paintjob. I want to know how much sanding of the existing paint is required for the primer surfacer to adhere properly.

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks for all the help....the only body work is rust bubbles here and there around the car. I already cut the rust out of the front fenders, welded fresh metal in, and applied filler in those areas. Now I have to cut/weld and fill the rockers and rear fender lips and I'll be ready to prep the entire car. I just wanted to make sure I prepped the paint it for right. Thanks again.

Guest 240hybrid

Great site....everything I'll ever need to know is there. I'll definitely be checking that site out for reference in the near furture. Thanks again

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

I'll do that. I have a couple pics of the qaurter panel I patched in. It still needs some filler to smooth out everything where the flange meets, but it went very well. I'll start gearing up for the fun here soon. I'll let you and the rest of the board know how its going as I get each major step done. Might take a little while, but I'll get it done.

Chase.

Guest 240hybrid

It here on this board. Click "album" at the top of the page, go to personnal albums, and sort by name and 240hy.. should be one of the first. Theres some pics there.

Chase