HybridZ

Turbo coolant water routing?

Guest jt240z

Guest jt240z

Here is an image of the preliminary mounting of my T3/T04E hybrid turbo on my next Haltech build up (Going in my 1970 240Z). Just looking to see if anyone has an opinion on how the water routing is being done or anything else you see that may be of concern.

My plan on water routing to the turbo is to have the water sourced from the back of the engine block at the far right of the picture. This is tapped off of the plug on the drivers side rear. The water line (not completed yet) will then run to the turbo using the brass 90 degree 3/8" npt to hose barb fitting. Then a short piece of -6 steel braid hose is used to join it to stainless steel tubing that is flared at the end. The flared fitting will go to a 1/2 union 3/8" flare to 3/8" npt pipe brass fitting that screws directly into the turbo center section. The outlet, as seen in the pic, uses the same flare fitting to stainless tubing connection. The outlet is then routed to the water pump inlet line using stainless steel tubing to the old air regulator water heater tubing line.

SanityCheck.jpg

Does anyone see any problems with the water being routed in this fashion? How about using brass fittings or flare joints into and out of the turbo? How does the waste gate rod tension adjuster look?

Thanks for any input (good or bad) :wink:

I just finished my water cooled hybrid installation last night. I went from the port on the thermostat housing to the turbo using 3/8 steel flared brake tubing - brass 90 deg flare to NPT fitting for the turbo. Return goes around the back of the engine to the heater hose junction (240 style) using same line and fittings. Total length of line is 60". I had to machine up a little fitting for the heater hose junction that reduces the size of hose from 5/8 to 3/8 to avoid an ugly pile of hoseclamps and reducers on the side of the engine. Doesn't leak. :) Did you use gas flare fittings on your setup or brake style fittings? I avoided using flex lines close to the turbo because I was worried about the reliability so close to the hot section. I'm pretty sure that coolant will burn if sprayed on 1000 deg turbine housing. :(

Cheers - Doug

Guest jt240z

I used 45 degree angle standard brass flair fittings. I'm curious if anyone else has tried the water routing that I'm planning, and with what success they've had. Picking up the water from the back of the block makes the hose routing a little cleaner. I don't think it will create a problem with the cooling system.